TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this just started but it seems very noticeable since I started driving the bird again. Unless I am very light on the throttle, rpms climb while I wait for od to engage. Is the 3-4 not happening as quick as it used to? Seems like it takes 1-2 seconds now, plenty of time for rpm to rise. This higher rpm makes the engagement of od harsh. I don't think the problem is related to the marauder converter. What should I check out next? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'd ask myself what was last thing you did w/Tranny & when ?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
June or so put in the marauder TC but Ive been driving the jag since oct

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
As you don;t know when this started then my guess is you are just noticing it more w/ better TC ( I have similar fm DD) - This can't be good for Band & hopefully it's not already toast - OD Servo area collects debris like crazy for whatever reason - You may want to drop Main VB - Secure band with something wedged up in there & change out / upgrade OD Servo ( I did O-Ringed Sonnax at rebuild) - Needless to say you'd inspect Main VB too & double check JMOD.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the sonnax servo, is there a slipping feeling before you get into od? I didnt expect this converter to cause this symptom. I don't want to replace the band anytime soon. Would it be better to use newer ford parts?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
With the sonnax servo, is there a slipping feeling before you get into od? I didnt expect this converter to cause this symptom. I don't want to replace the band anytime soon. Would it be better to use newer ford parts?
I never had "OD Slip"on my original 96 at 135K Miles - Od Band was in good shape - I just blew up POS Roller Cutch... & when I rebuilt I went to the larger OD & upgraded Sonnax Parts - If you've cooked your OD Band then you have no choice so it aint about "wants".

- I see yours is 96... certainly you have done more to original Tranny than JMOD & upgraded TC right ____?

- If not you would have done rebuild when you had it out for new TC right____?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
Do you have any issues going into manual 2 from 3? Manual 2 uses the OD band...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I havent gone manual 2 to 3 in a LONG time. Ill try that on the way back to work. This is a 01+ Crown vic trans with 3200 Dirtydog and Jmod (didnt touch OD servo). OD holds just fine so I think the band is good. Its just the neutral feeling for a second or two before it grabs that bugs me. With very light throttle, the 3-OD transition is almost seamless. Heavier throttle and the rpms climb until the apply. High RPMs during apply equals a jerk when it does engage. :(

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm pretty sure 2001 would already have the larger Diameter OD Servo, but as I said they do trap debris up there above the Servo so... ?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a good area to check out. I did manual 1-2-3 yesterday and the shifts are flawless. Would having the TC locked during the 3-4 cause any problems? Getting a tune soon, wondering if this is something that should be addresses then as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts