TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do they behave on the road and highway. I have got a great deal on a complete pumpkin with 3:55 but I wanted 3:73's. Should I go with the 55's or 73's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
I assume the 3.55 pumpkin is a trac-loc?

Depends on how much highway driving you do. IIRC, the 3.55's will be better on gas mileage (duh) than the 3.73's. But the 3.73's from what I've heard really wake these cars up.

For my money and since the bird will not be a daily driver I'm going with a 3.73 trac-loc unit. I don't really care if it kills the mileage. I've got to do something to compensate for the 95 motor, lol... Oh and before I forget I think know you have to change the speedo gear in order to keep it accurate based on the ratio you go with, so keep that in mind as well.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the car is a daily driver so, the 3:55's would help right, is it worth it? Btw, the 3:55 pumpkin is a trac-loc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
Yes, the 3.55's would be a definite improvement over the open 3.08's your car probably has now. I guess the debate is what plans do you have for your car in the future? Is it going to stay mostly stock, or going w/ a PI swap or something to that extreme?

If you plan on upgrading a bunch of stuff then I personally would go w/ the 3.73 trac-loc. I would not want to spend all that money on a 3.55 TL + setup/install fees just to replace it a year later w/ 3.73's. Not real economic. I'd say do a quick search and see what other guys have done.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I plan on build up a PI motor is the near future, I wish to shot for 260-300 hp range.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,668 Posts
Well you can get the complete pumpkin, so install will not be expensive. I say put in the 3.55s and see if you like them or not. If you still want the 3.73s, start looking for them and sell the 3.55s.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
With the 3.55s I get 26 mpg hwy running 80-85 mph at 24-2500 rpms. At 70 it runs at 2200 rpms. They work for me since I spend some time on the hwy. They also help this car get up off it's fat @ss compared to 3.08s :D It really just boils down to what you wanna do with the car. If you can get the 3.55 center section cheap and it's a trac-lok I'd do it since it just goes back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
gcash81001 said:
...I have got a great deal on a complete pumpkin with 3:55...
MadMikeyL said:
Well you can get the complete pumpkin, so install will not be expensive. I say put in the 3.55s and see if you like them or not...
I'd also suggest the 3.55s because if you go with 3.73s you will also have to have a chip/tune to compensate for the new gears or the car won't shift right.

You can go 2 steps in either direction without having to chip/tune it.
3.08->3.27->3.55 = 2 steps.

3.55s = great deal (according to your post) and the price of the proper tranny speedo gear.
3.73s = price of gears/pumpkin/setup/proper speedo gear/etc. and a chip/tune.

Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
girdnerg said:
........3.55s = great deal (according to your post) and the price of the proper tranny speedo gear.....

Rob

So just what is the proper speedo gear for 3.55's? I plan on installing a set as soon as I can get the rear end built. (still saving up for the rebuild kits, and labor on the rebuild)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
girdnerg said:
I'd also suggest the 3.55s because if you go with 3.73s you will also have to have a chip/tune to compensate for the new gears or the car won't shift right.

You can go 2 steps in either direction without having to chip/tune it.
3.08->3.27->3.55 = 2 steps.

3.55s = great deal (according to your post) and the price of the proper tranny speedo gear.
3.73s = price of gears/pumpkin/setup/proper speedo gear/etc. and a chip/tune.

Rob

Oh NO,
I have stock 3.27 open, do I need to get a chip? Eric
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top