TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you with 3.55's think of them? I drive about 250 miles a week no-highway and 600 miles to-from Michigan a month. How will they effect my gas milage? I have ready conflicting posts on here. There is a guy local selling the gears for $35, he pulled them out of his mustang and is unsure of the milage. Any way to tell if they are good or bad? How do I tell by looking at the gears if they are 3.55's? Are they worth it or should i just get a 3.27 t-loc pumpkin and swap it in? My car is currently 3.08 open.

Thanks,
Miller

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I would not trust used gears. I think that since you do mostly city driving the 3.73 gears would be the way to go. The 3.73 are not much fun cruising above 80 mph. I would purachace a new frpp punkin from dan newman at joe cooper ford in ok 1 405 733 1611. The problem with gears even if they are good you will need to get a track lock 250.00 plus have somebody take out the rear member and have it setup 250.00 which might not cover the cost of having new bearings. A new punkin is a little over 600 and you know what you are getting. Your fuel enconmy will go down about 15-20% on the highway but might pickup some in the city since the engine is not having to woork so hard to get the car moving. I would also strongly recomend that when you get the gears that you get a dennise or dennis reinheart driveshaft because the critical speed on a stock shaft will be around 90 mph.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
miller1995 said:
What do you with 3.55's think of them? I drive about 250 miles a week no-highway and 600 miles to-from Michigan a month. How will they effect my gas milage? I have ready conflicting posts on here. There is a guy local selling the gears for $35, he pulled them out of his mustang and is unsure of the milage. Any way to tell if they are good or bad? How do I tell by looking at the gears if they are 3.55's? Are they worth it or should i just get a 3.27 t-loc pumpkin and swap it in? My car is currently 3.08 open.

Thanks,
Miller
On the few gearsets that I've held in my hands, one was a 3.73 the other was 3.27, the ratio was imprinted somewhere on the ring.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Palmguy said:

On the few gearsets that I've held in my hands, one was a 3.73 the other was 3.27, the ratio was imprinted somewhere on the ring.
its on the pinion also. You can also add up the ring and pinion teeth, devide and come up wth the number....

joseph

·
Registered
169 Posts
i do alot of highway driving too and i love my 3.55's. at 65-70 mph i still get around 19mpg whereas before i got around 22. if you cruise interstate faster than 70 though, they're marginal on gas mileage, and i'd definatly stay away from 3.73's, just my opinion.

and if you're going to do a gear swap i'd definatly get some kindatrac lok setup. personally i pulled one from a junkyard, rebuilt it with all new bearings and seals and new frction plates and steels, 3.55 gears and saved a buncha money. just make sure you have someone help you who has done it before, it can be confusing, and if you mess it up you can ruin those new gears in a very short time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
oh, and when buying gears ONLY buy FRPP brand. any others stand a much greater chance of having problems (ie whining). the FRPP will prolly cost a little more, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Great Obucina said:

its on the pinion also. You can also add up the ring and pinion teeth, devide and come up wth the number....

joseph
the correct formula is count ring gear teeth (RG), then count pinion gear teeth(PG)

then divide ring gear by the pinion gear tp get the gear ratio

RG
--- = GEAR RATIO EX.
PG

--- = 4.10

Mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
dugweed said:

the correct formula is count ring gear teeth (RG), then count pinion gear teeth(PG)

then divide ring gear by the pinion gear tp get the gear ratio

RG
--- = GEAR RATIO EX.
PG

--- = 4.10

Mike
I knew it was something close...I study politics..math is not my friend:D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
billabong132132 said:
if you have a problem with me solve it. I respectfully asked you to know off the BS last night. Stop..

joseph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts