TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this guy that it's selling "New Ford Racing 3.73 gears" for $150. He say that he purchased them for his 98 Stang Gt. Are does expensive or nah? Will they fit my 95 cougar???? or are there different sizes....:confused:

·
Registered
130 Posts
maybe

first, a buck and a half is not a bad price, but certainly not a great deal either.

second, it will swap into your rear end if it's the same ring size. What kind of cougar, and what axle do you have? I'm not certain about the '98 GT, but I would expect it to be a 8.8" gear set.

third, just to rib you a little bit: why did you post this in the "engine" folder, instead of "gen tech" or "drivetrain"?:p

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
indeed a drivetrain topic...

the 98 GT will have a 8.8" ring and pinion, which will work if you have an 8.8" rear end, but you might not. is your car a V8? if so its probably an 8.8"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Diversified Products Marketing, Inc (BuyFordMotorsport.Com) still advertises them for $139 in their latest magazine ads. These are new FRPP gears. Give them a call.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Cougar is a 95, V-8.... I knew i should it postit in the drivetrain:D , but i was not shure...... I've heard that if you change the gears that you need to reprogram the computer.. si this true?? and what would be the increases in my car???:p

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Tx_Cat said:
My Cougar is a 95, V-8.... I knew i should it postit in the drivetrain:D , but i was not shure...... I've heard that if you change the gears that you need to reprogram the computer.. si this true?? and what would be the increases in my car???:p
Might knock off a couple tenths in the quarter, won't give a higher trap speed because that is hp dependant.

The reprogram is because your limiter gets moved from 105 to 92mph. I suggest you leave the limiter in until you get a better driveshaft (i'm assuming you have the stock one).

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you're saying that it will slow me down???? Cause you said "The reprogram is because your limiter gets moved from 105 to 92mph" or is it the other way????:confused: I have the stock driveshaft. This guy told me that it would be a good idea to swap mine for a 95 or newer mark VII driveshaft... So we only use a pair??:p
By the way, I checked the site and they are selling them for $149....

·
Registered
726 Posts
"That guy" you refer to is wrong. The '93 mark 8 driveshaft is the ONLY one that would be worth the trouble on our cars, other then a mmc or similar shaft.
What greenbird meant is that your top speed will be slower because your stock computer will think you are going 105, when you are really only going 92ish. Also, shift points, speedometer reading, tach, will be off because of the gears. 105ish is where the stock limiter cuts in. If you get it chip, the limiter will be removed, and the other issues will be taken care of, but it is still not recommended to go above 92 unless you have z(or similar) speed rated tires, a better tc, and a better driveshaft.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the tip WhiteBird.... So the gears will help but i need to change the driveshaft, the chip, tires..... WOW:p thats alot of money...... So do you recommend that i buy the gear, or the driveshaft first... Cause if i had money, i would but everything at once.. But hey, no money:( .. Sooner or later........
Another thing.. I want to purchase the inatke that Richards makes(a little to steep), but my bro tells me that it will actually works........ So, any comments?:confused:
Thanx again for your help.:D

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think a lot of people go with gears first, then the shaft, but it doesn't really matter. Do you want to spend $500-$600 now, or later? :D

As for the intake tube, yes, it will help dramiticly. However, i think i've heard him say that he is really bogged down on orders right now, and he may stop making them after he finishes the last of his orders, but maybe you can strike a deal with him. Another think you could to is talk to shadowdragon, he has fashioned his own tube out of a civic "cold air" kit, and it sounded easy enough.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
WhiteBird101 said:
"That guy" you refer to is wrong. The '93 mark 8 driveshaft is the ONLY one that would be worth the trouble on our cars, other then a mmc or similar shaft.
What greenbird meant is that your top speed will be slower because your stock computer will think you are going 105, when you are really only going 92ish. Also, shift points, speedometer reading, tach, will be off because of the gears. 105ish is where the stock limiter cuts in. If you get it chip, the limiter will be removed, and the other issues will be taken care of, but it is still not recommended to go above 92 unless you have z(or similar) speed rated tires, a better tc, and a better driveshaft.
the speedo will be off, but the shift points and tach wont be. the tach gets its signal from the camshaft sensor(or the crank, im not sure) which will still give an accurate reading regardless of rear end gear, and the transmission will still shift at the same rpm as it would have before. the only thing that is changing is the output rate, which makes the speedometer wrong.

as far as the driveshaft, i still use the stock one and i can say that it is something that should be upgraded, but its not absolutely necessary. for safety sake we always recommend changing it, but its not something that should cause a problem if you use your head.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey

The 3.73's will fit in your car, I have a 95 Cougar as well, as for the DS, If I'm the "guy" you're referring to as mentioning a 95??? I was the first to tell you in a PM to get it from a 93 MarK 'cause those are one-piece DS, and yes, it is smart to get better tires, chip, don't forget the speedo gear...Good Luck

·
Registered
726 Posts
hmm, i dunno about the shift points still, but i think your right about the tach. i don't know why i even put that in there.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
WhiteBird101 said:
hmm, i dunno about the shift points still, but i think your right about the tach. i don't know why i even put that in there.
almost nothing is determined by the actual output speed of the rear end, so theres no way that anything related to actualy speed could be thrown off by a change in rear end gearing. the shift points at WOT throttle and at part throttle are determined by which gear the transmission is currently in, the engine speed and the throttle angle.

now the shift will come at a slower actual mph, but it will still come at the same engine speed as it would have originally.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Espero que no te hayas enojado, Syrious Cougar:p (tienes messenger???). I'm looking to spend about $1000, but not rightnow... maybe till october... Thanx for the tips guys.... About the speedo gear..:confused: were can i find it??? There's not many mark VII here were i live.... About the driveshaft, $150 for an aluminium one.. good or bad???
A little story before i go....:d I just got home right now..... When i left to the store and to put some gas , a raced a chick that had an old trans and i kicked her ***... but i had to push the pedal all the way to the bottom.... My car went till 110mph.... and i had to stop, cause i noticed like a rough change in the trasmision or something like that....I think my cat struggled or something...... It the first time that i do this.. it was kinda fun..... but kinda scary... What happened?? cause i got kinda scare... but the car works fine..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don't ask me why because I don't know but I do know that the speedo gear will change the WOT shift points, it's a fact. I have changed speedo gears and wheels and tires as well as different rear end gears in my car and every time the WOT shift points have been off a bit
(couple of hundred RPMs) I have T-45 now so it doesn't make any diff. right now but it did happen with the 4R70W. Try changing you speedo gear and see were it shifts, rpm wise.
Some how the speed sensor is involved with the shift point at WOT.

·
Registered
157 Posts
3.73s for $115

I know a guy who posted in the classifieds for used 3.73's for $115. If you want look in the classifieds, its a little older, if you can't find it I can get his e-mail address.

Later

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How am i gonna know that the gears function or that they aren't damaged???? I looked and i couldn't find him..... If you have the email, can you please give it to me???:D I'm gonna keep looking..... Thanx.
So were can i get the speedo gear???:confused:

·
Registered
809 Posts
You will need the purple 21 tooth gear and you can get it from ford. Or you can get a speedcal from www.dallasmustag.com

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts