TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys got a little problem.

I just put on 3.73 gears and a 3000 rpm stall converter. my problem is now my car revs way to high before it shifts. it shifts into 2nd fine but then if i have od on it wont shift into 3rd or overdrive till redline at PART THROTTLE. i can force the shift into 3rd by turning od off but then i cant do over 50 miles an hour. I put in a 23 tooth white speedo today and it didnt help at all. actually made it worse i think. am i supposed to put in a 21 tooth speedo? Or do i have to get a dennis chip to fix this? I cant even race all the little riceburners cause of this crap. well anyways all help would be appreciated

95 thunderbird 4.6 lx if you wanted to know

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
do you have any chip in there? are you throwing any codes?

your shift points are completely controlled by the ECU, based on gear, rpm and throttle angle. my first guess is an electrical problem, but thats just my first guess.

·
Registered
157 Posts
21 tooth

Yes you need the 21 tooth speedo gear, my guess is you need a chip or if you have one" get it reprogrammed. As J-Rob said they are controled by the ECU.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no chip no codes

i dont have a chip but was thinking about getting one. will dennis chip fix part throttle shifting or only wot. j-rob i scanned the computer and didnt get any codes. also no lights have come on. i guess ill order the 21 tooth tommorrow. Also im sure my stupid questions are going to get old but bear with me. j-rob are you saying that changing the speedo gear only corrects the speedometer and doesnt have anything to do with shift points or what? well anyways ill talk to ya later.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Re: no chip no codes

nitrofreak said:
i dont have a chip but was thinking about getting one. will dennis chip fix part throttle shifting or only wot. j-rob i scanned the computer and didnt get any codes. also no lights have come on. i guess ill order the 21 tooth tommorrow. Also im sure my stupid questions are going to get old but bear with me. j-rob are you saying that changing the speedo gear only corrects the speedometer and doesnt have anything to do with shift points or what? well anyways ill talk to ya later.
if i remember correctly, the only way to run different gears without having to get a chip as well is to go with 3.55's. Personally, I think 3.55's would be pointless in our cars.

anyway, your problem is related to not having a chip. Your computer is still shifting based upon the factory settings...with factory gears. Once you get a performance chip, the computer will be told to shift at the proper times.

I have heard that Dennis Reinhart is the best person selling performance chips for our MN-12's. I, however, do not have one, so I cannot say from experience...yet. Someone else will post info on it, but yes, a chip from Dennis will fix your problem.

as with the 21 tooth speedo gear...it is exactly that... a speedo correction gear. it would do nothing for your transmission shift schedule.

anyone care to add anything else (dennis? anyone w/ dennis chip care to throw in some more info?)

hope that helps!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Re: 21 tooth

DGERMANN said:
Yes you need the 21 tooth speedo gear, my guess is you need a chip or if you have one" get it reprogrammed. As J-Rob said they are controled by the ECU.
Bingo. He needs a purple 21 tooth.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: Re: no chip no codes

nitrofreak said:
j-rob are you saying that changing the speedo gear only corrects the speedometer and doesnt have anything to do with shift points or what? well anyways ill talk to ya later.
pretty much. the gear only tells the speedo how fast the rear tires *should be* spinning. it wont affect shift points, etc.

66dvlbrd68 said:

if i remember correctly, the only way to run different gears without having to get a chip as well is to go with 3.55's. Personally, I think 3.55's would be pointless in our cars.
you can get any gear you want without a chip, the only issue is top end. i had my car running for a few days without a chip and 4.10s and it was pretty much the same except i topped out around 70.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone

Hey thanks everyone who responded.

I guess i will order a chip as soon as i get the cash. also is it worth getting the car dynotuned by dennis or should i just get the chip? i live about 1 1/2 hours away from dennis so i could drive there. well thanks again. im off to work.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Re: thanks everyone

nitrofreak said:
Hey thanks everyone who responded.

I guess i will order a chip as soon as i get the cash. also is it worth getting the car dynotuned by dennis or should i just get the chip? i live about 1 1/2 hours away from dennis so i could drive there. well thanks again. im off to work.
hey, if you live that close, i'd look into visiting dennis and seeing the wonders of a performance chip and a tune from him.

i unfortunately live on the other side of the country, so when i get a chip, i'll have to just plug and play so to speak.

shoot him an email, or call him, tell him what you got and that you're interested in a chip. he'll get you some pricing info and things like that.

good luck. i'm sure your car will be hauling some arse soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts