TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how you tell what the ratio of a gears is. I picked some up on ebay from a guy who claimed they were brand new 3.73's. The ring has 41 teeth and the pinion (if thats what you call it) has 11 teeth. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Should also say right on the pinion gear if they are ford gears.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are motive performance.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just glad to know that they are 3.73's I thought I got screwed for a second. it's weird how they say 55 on them though. But the math doesn't like so they have to be 3.73's

·
8,239 Posts
figure alot more into a rebuild than just a ring and pinion set.

Bearings, seals, you will probably want a new trac loc diff also.

JH

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a trac loc now, so what will i need besides the gears and diff?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You need a 28 spline trac loc from an IRS car. You need an FRPP 8.8 ring and pinion installation kit with pinion and carrier bearings (call Dan Newman). You need a bottle of friction modifier. Finally, you need someone who has the tools and expertise to properly rebuild an 8.8 rear end. It is not the easiest thing to get right for sure.
I would talk to dirtyd0g and see if he has anything or can set you up.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Bearings, clutches and seals will run you almost 200 not including the carrier but you should be able to pick one up for 50-75.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was under the impression that if you were getting an new differential that you didn't need all the bearings, and clutches.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you buy a brand new diff, no, you shouldn't need all that. But you will most likely never be able to find a brand new one, so it's more of a while you're in there changing gears in a diff with 90,000 miles on it thing, and more so piece of mind (all new bearings, clutches, etc).

Joe

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ford racing website has new trac lok units for sale.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good call..didn't know that. If those are just the trac loc units, I would still put new bearings in the case though, and you wouldn't need any clutch pacs, etc for the trac loc unit then.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts