TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who can tell me from experience how much 3:73 gears knocked off your track time?
around here, the closest thing to me is the 1/8, so if anyone knows what it will do for me on the 1/8, then i would appreciate it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
only expect at most 2 tenths in the quarter. mph might drop a little. the best thing about the 3.73 (especially when going from 3.27) is the traction lock. if you have 3.27's now you might not notice much of a difference, but if you have 2.73 or 3.08 you definetly will.

hope that makes sense, im out of it right now

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I've already got 3.27 Trac-Lok in my car from the factory. Would it be worth it to go to 3.55s? I know 3.73s are considered the best performance gear for our cars, but I'll be doing a lot of highway travelling inthe next few years so I'll have to get pretty good highway mileage. (My in-town mileage sucks because my foot weighs too much. :) )

·
Registered
726 Posts
I know 3.73s are considered the best performance gear for our cars
Thats debatable. Our cars are rather heavy, and our engines like the rpms, so a 4.10 or higher gear would actually be better PERFORMANCE gears then 3.73's.
However, 3.73's may be the best all-around gear.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Yeah Whitebird, thats what I was trying to say. Because 3.73 is about the highest you want to go if you stil take it on the highway now and then. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
gears

:confused: How would I determine what gears are in my car? 1995 LX...Do I have 3.08's or 2.73's? Is there a letter in our VIN that tells you? My other question, What would be the benifit of getting a TRAC-LOCK...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I say it all depends.
If you want good ETs in the 1/8 mile only, you need to keep the motor running in the power band for the short sprint. 4.10s might be the best for this. Esp since the speed is not high. Just don't try to cruise on the freeway at 80 mph.

For a 1/4 mile car, with only minor mods, your 3.73 gears will be better, but 3.55 are not too bad. You have to look at where you cross the finish line. Are you in third gear at 3000 rpm or 5200 rpm where the power peak is?

There are calculators on the internet that you can use to determine optimal ratios. 3.27 gears are nice to have and then put some shorter tires on. A 25" overall tire height will change the effective ratio to something like 3.45 on 3.27 gears.

Likewise, if you run 3.73 on stock tires and find you need to back it down, put on a taller tire.

Now if you are making more HP than your tires can use, it really doesn't matter.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
I like my 3.73s, they treat me well. Not the most fuel efficient gear in the world, but then again I didn't buy the 4000lb TBird because is was good on gas, either!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you want decent fuel economy still - get 3.73's.

If fuel economy isn't a real concern (short trips), go with 4.10's or 4.30's if you really want to move :).

I'm lovin' my 4.30's :D!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts