TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys iv done a bunch of searching and pretty much set on getting some 3.73s for the bird. From all the searching it looks like there the best gearing if you dont wanna kill your gas milage to much. Now the question i have is and this is for the boys in the north that get snow and drive there birds with 3.73s in it how is the driveability?? Im going to be getting probably some new snow tires so that shouldnt be a problem. Right now i have stock open 3.27s and am looking to get her up and going a little quicker. Let me hear your opinions on this

thanks

-matt-

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Make sure to put in a T-loc.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
With good tires and a T-Loc, 3.73's aren't too shabby at all in the snow.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I bet it would be a blast, but considering I learnd how to drive in the snow 9 years ago in a parking lot at gurney mills in IL. I haven't seen snow since, good luck with that...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool ya thats what my biggest fear is lol i dont want something in there thats gonna make my bird un driveable in winter. Right now im just looking for an easy mod other than PI heads ect to get the bird flying lol and this looks to be the one

-Matt-

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
281MuscleKid said:
4.10s run like 4000rpm at 65 i saw, i think on this site in one of the tech articles. i think im goin with 3.73 :)

3.73 70-2300, 80-2640
4.10 70-2540, 80-2900

i copied and pasted this from the techarticle on the front page

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
281MuscleKid said:
4.10s run like 4000rpm at 65 i saw, i think on this site in one of the tech articles. i think im goin with 3.73 :)

holy ****, a n00b who has read the tech articles, if i could I would pass ya a Stella through the monitor.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
One of the members that went to Phoenix from Tucson for a meet last month has 3.73s. He was running around 2,700 at 75 mph. With 3.27 I run 2,150ish at 75 (the 89 Cougar runs around 2,300). To try out 3.73s on the highway, try running with OD locked out, I run around 2,700 at 75 in D.

I would love it since I will spend .0001% of my time on the highway with this car. I might think about them over 3.55s I want to do. Probably wake it right up and help my town mileage. I have an 00 Grand Marquis with 2.73s for the highway miles, but I gotta tell you it was a dream driving the 97 Cougar 100 miles to Phoenix (even the 89 was nice, I took it on a 1,400 mile trip when the Grand Marquis was getting body work done) but not as practical as the Grand Marquis with a family of 4.

I can say that even with 3.27s the 97 is a handful when it rains here, we get super slick roads because of all the oils and coolant from cars that leak, and the oils in the pavement that seep up to the top. I really have to be careful, but you should be fine because you are used to driving in moderation more than likely, here you can drive the car at 100% almost all the time, it gets messy when it rains.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts