TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Hypothetical: I don't want to deal with my V6 any more...sometimes they last, sometimes not, but the majority of the time it seems not due to their little head problem (unless someone manufactures iron heads for it and I just haven't heard).

First of all, how much trouble (heck, can it be done) would it be to swap a 4.6L in? How much of a fuel efficiency hit will I take, and how much quicker can I expect the car to move? And last, but not least, how much will a 4.6L cost me?

I know it'd probably be easier to get a 5.0, but I still care more about my fuel consumption :D

Additional random question, the digital gauges are different between '88 and '89 on...are they still the same shape and use the same wiring? (I.E. will one from a '89 drop right in without screwing about with/in the dash)
The clusters got so much prettier after 1988 :(

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
For the cluster, no it will not swap in, and it would be a ton of wiring work and custom interior work to get it in there.

As for the 4.6, yes it can be done, and has been done before. I would imagine your fuel mileage will actually increase with a 4.6 compared to a 3.8. However if your only concern is the reliability of the 3.8, that's a pretty stupid reason to undertake a project this big. A splitport 3.8 or 4.2 swap would be much easier, get rid of the head gasket issue, give you decent performance, and still keep up your gas mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, guess I'll be keeping my rather squarish old-style digitals. Oh well, I like them anyway (the newer ones are just a little prettier) and they'll be even spiffier once I get around to changing the color on'em.

Reliability wasn't my only worry, I was also wanting slightly more power. For the way I want to gear it, the 3.8 n/a will do---once I'm up to speed. Taking off won't be easy, so I was just wondering about alternatives.

I was looking around in the 3.8/4.2 section, and also considering a 4.2...but that was after I posted this :D
Like I said, just looking at my options. The 4.2 swap IS looking more tempting, especially now that I've read up on it and seen how comparatively easily it'll go in. The only thing I'm worried about is what intake manifold I'd use...the windstar one is plastic but more likely to fit under my hood, but the person who wrote the swap article on it is unsure if it'll clear the distributer, and DIS bits will cost extra money that I don't ha---

Oh wait, I'm in the wrong section to be talking about this :eek:

Anyway, note to self; read more next time before opening mouth.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I personally would just put in a 5.0 HO. The engine will fit right in and you can still keep you're trans

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally would just put in a 5.0 HO. The engine will fit right in and you can still keep you're trans
It'll also drink gas worse than simply upgrading to a bigger V6. I'm looking to make this car have a bit more "get up and go", while still being easy enough on the fuel to use it as a daily driver. Having good fuel efficiency is my second to top priority---the top priority being getting the thing on the road again by the beginning of November :p

Speaking of transmissions, what all will bolt up to a 4.2? I was under the impression it was the same bolt pattern as the 3.8.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
newsflash the 3.8, 4.2L, 5.0L and 351w share the same bellhousing pattern

nah, all kidding aside, the engines listed above bolt up perfectly to the 3.8L bellhousing.

You may want to just do 3.8 splitport or 4.2L for ease and fuel economy. The 3.8L splitports are very nice engines, particularly when using the windstar intake... imrcs = fun :)

-Ghost

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
newsflash the 3.8, 4.2L, 5.0L and 351w share the same bellhousing pattern

nah, all kidding aside, the engines listed above bolt up perfectly to the 3.8L bellhousing.
Figured they did---the swap article for the 4.2 mentioned that the 3.8 tranny (not the AODE, the one that's a jumble of numbers and letters I can never remember) could be reused fine.

I suppose a splitport 3.8 would go in about the same way as the 4.2? What're the general horsepower and torque figures, and what're the RPM numbers for each? Is the bloody thing short enough to fit under my hood (the 4.2 using intakes that come with it likely won't be)? WILL the Windstar intake be low enough and still allow room for my old distributer? Am I just modifying my old 3.8, or is there a doner car I need to look out for? Teeeeellllll meeeeeee~

...please? :\

IMRCS=no problem, swap article suggests an MSD RPM switch works perfectly for the job :3

Unless you're suggesting there's other problems with the Windstar intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts