TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question im gettin a junkyard trans for $75 out of a 91 3.8 coug with 90xxx miles on it, will it bolt up to my 5.0? thanks

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 3.8 tranny will bolt up to your 5.0.

However, the 3.8 transmissions are not as robust as the 5.0 transmissions and will have a shorter life expectancy behind said 5.0.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will the 3.8 trans be at least strong enough to take the power assuming its in good condition?

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
If your motor is stock, it will work, but not for very long. If you're only paying $75 for it, then I say put it in there and see how long you get out of it. I wouldn't expect much more than 15K miles though before it dies. It would work long enough for you to find a used 5.0 or SC AOD, or to save up for a rebuilt trans, but that's about all I would count on it for.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
question

im doing the same thing on a 93 why is it the 3.8 tranny wont last long? looks the same as the 5.0 but what is it that makes it not strong enough for the 5.0?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
5.0_Mo said:
will the 3.8 trans be at least strong enough to take the power assuming its in good condition?
This question is very hypothetical. The transmission may survive with a driver that doesn't beat on it. With a person that drives hard the 5.0 transmission could be destroyed quickly as well.
Alan

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
em er well, i had this issue with mine, the one i got was a v6 trans , lasted 6 k , then i had it overhauled .

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
tbird1993 said:
im doing the same thing on a 93 why is it the 3.8 tranny wont last long? looks the same as the 5.0 but what is it that makes it not strong enough for the 5.0?
Not sure of all the exact details, but something about fewer clutches in the 3.8 trans, and I think there is a weaker OD servo or something like that. Basically what it comes down to is ford was able to save a few bucks per unit by making it not as strong, so if the trans was going behind a motor that only made 140hp, they didn't need it to be as strong as the one going behind the 200hp motor. If you do use the 3.8 trans, go very easy on it, and don't expect it to last very long. You might get lucky and have it last a long time, or it might be toast within 5K miles.

Mike

·
Registered
882 Posts
I broked a 5.0 trans.

3.8 has less clutch material I was told, and the mustang trans has more clutch material.

Trans cooler++++

1 - 10 of 10 Posts