TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys this girl at my work straight up dogged my car before she ever saw it and said her 97 eclipse rs could beat me...? I think I can take her but ever since I got beat by my friends Honda Accord 24v I'm kinda skeptical...She has a 5sp so hopefully if her car is faster she won't be a good shifter.

What do you guys think on the final out come?

Here's a break down on the two cars performance...

----------- Eclipse --------Thunderbird
Hp : --- [email protected] --- [email protected]
Torque: --- [email protected] --- [email protected]

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i think the RS is slower.. i know a couple are, but you gotta remember weight and gearing.. the 5spd has better gearing and the eclipse weighs less, so it could be close... -greg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh Hell Yeah

My friend has a 95 Eclipse And I kick his on the regular. My car stupid simple mods and I also found out that my car was rollin on 4 cyliders for the last few months.. Ain't that some junk. Now If I kick his *** on the regular with my 90LX with these little mods like no Air silencer and various new elctronic replacements. its just a little 3.8L V6.

Woop her *** Tim

Aight Then,
Will

One Love Hawaii

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's going down!

I figured I could take her, but the whole 5sp really makes me think I'll be at a disadvantage. After hearing williows story, I can take her with easy!! Now I just have to wait for a day when we work together again so I can take her up on her offer.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
You can beat automatic RS and GS Eclipses

I raced a '97 (I'm guessing, I don't study ricers) Eclipse one night. We were lined up at the stoplight, I was laughing at the 'Turbo Inside' sticker on his door. When the light turned green I took him off the line, he got beside me, got his nose in front of mine, and I shifted into 2nd (manually) then I drove by him pretty easily, I always let off around 45 in town so that was the end of the race. It's not what I expected with the way people brag them cars up. Ha ha, I haven't seen that kid around much since that night.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still worried...

It seems as though everytime I brag my car up and "think" it's fast I get dogged by someones junk. I'm going to play it safe and install intake and U/D pullies before I hit her up for a race. Knowing my luck all I'll see is tail lights and then the rest of my working life I will get harrassed by her.

When I raced my friends 24v Accord it was acrossed the Toy's R Us parking lot which is like 50 yards so I think I could take it with more distance. Plus I was doing burn outs and goofing off before. While his car was sitting and hadn't run till we went at it.

Dude if you have a XR-7 that Supercharged right?....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh okay...

I knew they were but I didn't know what years. I'm more geared towards t-birds since that's what I have, thanks for clearing that up.

I still don't know, I think I'll order the U/D pullies on Monday when I get paid just to give myself a lil more advantage if I don't already have enough to beat her.

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
i promise that you can beat that car, not only have i done it against kids that shift like gods, but i've seen it done too by a 3.8 ~ it's the greatest feeling to take one of those bastards down, enjoy it thoroughly

Kyle

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is great!

We both work together tomorrow night so I'll see if she is up for some racing. I will post the results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I beat a Talon TSI in my 3.8

I go cruising on random nights here in town and every once in a while there are people that grow some balls and race me and one of those times was this mid 90s Talon with a turbo and we started at a light and he had me cause his was a manual but about half way through 1st gear I started to pull on him and after 2nd gear kicked in I had him until about 50 when his turbo kicked on then he caught up and started to pass me but by that time both of us started slowing down cause there was a cop about a block ahead of us.

G

·
hehe... i used to run my 95 281 around berlin trunpike up here in CT when all those rice burners were out and about... the 281 had all silencers removed, including mufflers, and I beefed up the engine a bit so that if i was challenged i'd not be put to shame... well i had fun... none of those ricers could do anything until their turbos kicked in

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have an U/D pulley for you!

I have crank pulley for 3.8 that I never used and I'm wanting to sell it! It'd be alot cheaper than if you bought it off ASP or something, no ALT. pulley though, but it was the same size anyways, just newer. Let me know if you're interested. Also, if you race the Eclipse, it might be good idea to just go to around 45 or 50 like the other guy. It's probably got 0-60 time around 8.5 or so, and I don't know about you guys, but I could only get my cougar down to 9.5, with no real good mods though. Good luck anyways!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hmmm.. I think i have a problem lol

well my tbird lx has the 3.8 also of course.. but for some reason i get smoked by like every car besides neons... I've lost to Eclipse RS's before.. I can beat a crx, but those are slow ne ways.. I have also raced Talon TSI's and keept with them.. I think i just have a jacked up car.. I have removed the air silencer and got the K&N filter but I can't really tell much of a diff.. since the car is slow untill i hit around 3000RPM... anyone got an idea? my transmission cable and trottle cables broke so I kinda jimmy rigged em, think thats the problem? all i know is I bark the tires when i floor it... I dunno.. my cars messed i think.. alright later

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beat an RS with mods

after reading your post question I decided to race a friend of mine who has a 98 RS 5 speed, racing clutch, cold air intake and exhaust. Again when we launched he had me until 1st was almost done then I caught up in 2nd and ran past him in 2nd and he never caught up again. Just sharing my news with ya. And remember that might not be the same way yours goes cause Sean's is modified so you may beat this one quicker than I beat sean.

Matt:D

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Actually I think the brand new exclipse rs's are slower than the older model rs's. Great handling though. Plus you look really cool riding in one with "Start the Comotion" playing on your stereo.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
my friend has a 96 Eclipse, i don't remember what model it is, whatever the base is, GS i guess. Maybe I'll try and set up a race with her, her's is an automatic though... I do have K&N FIPK and true dual exhaust on my side but i dunno, we'll see how it goes :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI: I killed her!

Everyone was totally right about the out come. She never had a chance. First off it was like 75 out and both cars were cool, we got to a light and I was like wanna go. I never even seen her pull up on me! I had the tires about ready to break when the light turned, burned a little and enjoyed the out come. She has mad respect for the thunderturd as she was calling it now she calls it her daddy LOL!

I don't understand the fact that I can dog her car but a 95 honda Accord 4 door w/ a 24valve can beat me. It wasn't by much tho and it was a short distance, max speed was like 50.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts