TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the head gaskets on my mother-in-law's 1990 3.8.Two questions-(1)Is that big (28mm?) bolt under the passenger side exhaust manifold a block coolant drain?If not,where is the drain for that side?(2)What is the correct,current head bolt torquing procedure?My Haynes manual gives one I have seen also in this forum-there is also a different procedure mentioned in several posts.I am planning on using Fel-Pro gaskets.Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep, good question - the bolt is actually 29 mm, I tried pulling it this weekend myself but my socket set goes 26-27-28-30-32. So I guess I can't tell you for sure, but that's the only bolt I saw on my '90 resembling a block drain. (I'm changing the head gaskets on mine too) Let us know what you find out!

As for the head bolts, all I have is the Haynes manual, so we're looking at the same info. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
*Brakes out 96 Shop Manaul*

Steps
15 ft-lbs

"Back off all bolts one at a time two to three revolutions and retighte as follows:"
DO NOT LOOSEN ALL OF THE BOLTS AT THE SAME TIME: ONLY WORK ON ONE BOTL AT A TIME.

Long bolts:
Tighten to 30-36 lb-ft
Rotate an additional 175-185 degrees
Go to next bolt in sequence.

Short bolts:
Tighten to 15-22 lb-ft
Rotate an additional 175-185 degrees
Go to next bolt in sequence.

Front of Enginge
<----

As for that bolt neither my 96 or 97 had them but ford does say remove them (if equiped). I just syphoned the cooled out of my dad I-6 but it was only a minor blow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts