TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to sell my 3.8L drive train to cover some of my build expenses.I'm selling it all,engine,trans,differential,axles,drum brake spindles,most of the interior,digital gauge cluster,EEC and all associated wiring.My issue lies with the engine.It has blown a head gasket.The coolant worked it's way to the rod bearings and spun a rod bearing.I got the car in this condition and it was drivable.It has set for 5 years,so it needs a good overhaul and crank kit.I was told the transmission was recently rebuilt before the engine crisis.Should I spend the money to repair the engine(at a cost of $700 to $900) in hopes of getting more for it or should I sell as is?Any other idears?

Just an FYI. I only found one local supplier for reman 3.8L engines,private owned All Pro franchise.They want $3995 + $695 core.The core is refunded after the engine has under gone an inspection.I've never heard of a chain type parts seller doing this.I'm not sure if it's because of all the 3.8L configuration or if it's because of the high head gasket failure rate.These engines came in both front and rear drive versions, for those that didn't know,and the blocks are different.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I have a 130k mile 3.8L and AOD coupled, fresh head gasket job on the 3.8, and I can't even give them away. I craigslist them every once in a while for 300 bucks, hardly a bite.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$4k for a reman 3.8 engine is a joke. Fixing the head gasket isn't that bad of a job and isn't as expensive as you might think if you do it yourself and the heads are reusable.
I agree,$4000 is stupid high.I have done many head gaskets on 3.8s.This one got coolant in the bearings and spun a rod bearing.So I am looking at either a crank kit or reworked crank,possibly new/reworked rods,bearing kit,gasket kit,cleaning and machining the heads,might as well rering the pistons while their out,pretty much gonna run into a rebuild to get it running right.I'd rather spend that money on my 5.8 swap unless I can find someone who really wants a rebuilt 3.8.That won't happen.I don't skimp when it comes to engine work.I tried that on one of my vehicles years ago and ended up blowing an engine.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
FYI, when I was looking for a new SC block I could get a low mileage one for about $2200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts