TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve read around and heard that the stock resonator is the reason the 3.8s sound kinda ricey. So i figured i pull it off and stick something else there (glass pack muffler or something strait through besides just pipe) that and i heard empting out the 3rd cat is something allot of people do to gain a little more flow.
What’s your guy's opinion? What should i do? What has been done with good results?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i can't say my 83 sounds ricey at all with a pair of magnaflow mufflers. but its got a huge cam and is carb/distbutor.
Infact my brothers camaro (3.8) i put hooker exhaust on sounds awsome
My 83 sounds great
and i had a 2003 grand am SCT with SLP loud mouth exhaust that sounded awsome too
Just because its got a 6 doesn't mean it can't sound good.

Does anyone have any suggestions besides leave it stock?
Maybe someone that owns / worked on a 3.8?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wouldn't entirely say can of bees. Yes, it does sound a little bit ricey when you remove the 3rd cat, but it's a deeper tone. Personally I am a fan, it is a lil loud but not fart cannon loud.

Here's mine

http://media.putfile.com/Exhaust-finally-broken-in

I replaced my 3rd cat with a di/do magnaflow and new high-flow cats. 2 1/4" all around.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
my 3.8 exhaust has no cats or resonator. it's the 96 headers straight back to 2 40 series flows under the trunk. does drone a bit, and gets raspy over 3k.

sounds nice at idle, or when i'm not getting on it. if i could do it again, i would do it differently.

·
Registered
303 Posts
im not looking to go crazy like i did with my 4.6, but i still want a nice sound, i want to get just the basic flowmaster kit, woudl it be wise on my 97 to get the resonator as well? is the flowmaster res required to bolt on a flowmaster system?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The reonator is not requierd but highly recommended. The drone you get with Flowmaster's is horrible.

There are much better mufflers out there. Look into Magnaflow.

·
Registered
303 Posts
oh i know the magnaflow sounds, but i dont have the money i use to when i first got my 95 4.6, got married almost a year ago so the funds are tight when it comes to tuning a new car, the 3.8 sound like it can have a pretty mean tone with flows, i first had flows on my 4.6 and i loved the sound, even when i got the headers highflow cats and dual pipes, but i eventually went to the mags because i messed up the pipes on my flows, anyone have a clip of a 3.8 with the flows?

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Performance Peddler has a nice piece from Magnaflow that is all 3 cats, high flow, 2 1/4 mandrel bent tubes, and is direct fit.

I've been running without a resonator and single OEM muffler since I bought the car. When my cat start plugging or dying, I'm putting the Magnaflow piece in, then finish out with 2 1/4" pipe past the gas tank where I'll split to duals, put Magnaflow or Borla mufflers on, and finish off with 4"x1" oval tips from Pypes peeking out from under the bumper cover.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reonator is not requierd but highly recommended. The drone you get with Flowmaster's is horrible.

There are much better mufflers out there. Look into Magnaflow.
haha i think you know how i feel about flowmasters....

·
Registered
303 Posts
on my 4.6 i had headers cats h-pipe duals to flowmasters and i thought it sounded pretty good, i ended up replacing them with mags and it still sounded sick, but since the funds are low and only 3 companies make exhaust systems for our cars, dynomax flowmaster and borla, im looking for wich one woudl give my car a nice rumble, i had a 3.0L mazda 6 and i had the bosal exhaust on it, and it sounded ok but you could tell it had the rice buzz behind it, the 3.8 is a bit meaner in tone, not looking for crazy blow the rims off exhaust sound just something that sounds good.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I know a guy who recammed his SC. The damn thing sounds like a 5.0 on NOS.

·
Registered
303 Posts
anyone have a clip of the dynomax exhaust on our cars>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts