TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to swap out a 1995 3.8 with possible blown head gasket/seized, for a 2001 mustang 3.8? Will it bolt up to the 4R70W, and would it be all that much trouble to convert it over? please help, any response would be much appreciated.

mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do a search on "Splitport swap" You will find your answers there.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
just an extra tidbit, get the tranny out of the mustang too. it's also a 4R70W and better than the 95 tranny as well.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
There's a ton of info on the swap from back when I did it years ago. I know a few others have also done the swap and posted info about it here. You'll just need to run a search and start reading.

I got your PM. As far as how much I spent on that particular swap, I believe it was around $1000 - $1200 including the engine and transmission.

-Rod

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
That's the prices I'm getting for the engine and tranny in the area. Anywhere from 1000-3000 depending on where the yard is and what year the engine is.

·
Registered
755 Posts
sorry for sorta hijacking the topic, but would it be possible to just add the splitport heads, and upper/lower intake to the 96/97 block? then add the windstar fuel rails? I doubt its that simple, but I thought I'd ask

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have a link to a site or a thread that details the process fully? I have search but i only find a piece here and there

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Have you looked at the article that PJ wrote up about the 4.2L install? 4.2L article

Most of that applies to a splitport 3.8L install as well.

If you have specific questions on the install, I'll do my best to answer them for you, but I don't have the time right now to write up an article on it. Besides, there are quite a few different ways to go about the install (DIS or distributor, EGR or delete EGR, IMRC's or no IMRC's, etc...).

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Just curious Rod, which way did you go with yours with regards to EGR/IMRC?
I am running EGR, using a custommade EGR tube and DIS ignition (which was a pain to wire up). I have a 2000 engine, so mine doesn't have the IMRC's. However, on my DOHC 90 XR7, I used a MSD tach driver and a MSD RPM switch to control the IMRC's.

If anyone needs a wiring diagram for installing DIS ignition on their 94-95 3.8L MN12, just say so. I think I still have a copy of the diagram that I made up for Thomas awhile back.

-Rod

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a quick couple of Q's. does the 3.8 splitport fit under our stock hoods??

And what year is the best year of splitport stang 3.8's and last will my stock tranny bolt up to the 3.8 split

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
With a little custom bracketry, the splitport 3.8L (with a Mustang intake) will fit under the stock hood.

IIRC, 99-00's didn't have IMRC's, and late 00-04's did have IMRC's. The IMRC's help out with low rpm torque. I'm going off of memory here, so you may want to doublecheck those years.

3.8/4.2/5.0's share the same bellhousing boltpattern, so yes, the splitport 3.8L will bolt up to a 3.8L 4R70W (or AOD).

-Rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts