TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all so I just noticed the other day that I don't have a ground wire from my batt to my engine block. I should have one right? If so I need to know where it goes on the block I don't see an obvious place to put it thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I did one from the motor mount stud driver side to the chassis. With longer wire you can reach teh battery.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
You may be able to pick up 0 gauge at a Welding supply store for a decent price, even 2 or 4 gauge would be plenty for a relatively stock vehicle.

All wiring has insulation, but where you route it by hot engine compnents may burn it up, or if there are micro cracks in the insulation you could short it .. always a good idea to wrap it with wire loom and electrical tape.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
My reason for doing the Big 3 was purely stereo. I have a 300/4 and a 500/1 amp that really put a strain on the battery and am hoping someday to add another amp and more speakers inside. When that happens I'll need to add a second battery for sure.

Fortunately I know the owner of a high end car stereo shop local here in AZ and he sold me about 14 feet of 0 gauge for $40. Every year they build a new car packed with sweet audio/video equipment to take to the audio shows and luckily I had asked about the 0 gauge right as they were dismantling last years Scion so I got a great deal on it.

This time I'm going to make sure I have the + wire all wrapped, I think I have enough scrap to get it hooked back up I just need another fuse block and a high amp fuse.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Well my big3 upgrade is still working fine. I dont know what happened with your set up exactly kelly. That 0 gauge you used made my 0 gauge feel like 4 gauge. YOu have some real cable there. The fuse did what it was supposed to do though and thats take all the damage. You'll need 18 feet next time to run that second battery.

Anyway about connections to the block there are 3 block mount studs and one of them will work perfectly. Run the wire up to the top of the shock tower and bring toward the battery, dont want to keep it near the heat.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what happened but there were very small spots or slits on the wire insulation when I took it off. It could have touched the trans fluid cooler line or the coolant return hose or something else under there. The insulation on there isn't made for under the hood high temps and mine wasn't covered like yours. It was my fault for not making sure it was covered, I should have ordered that high temp conduit I told you about. I'm going to get a roll and it's 50 feet so if you need some let me know. I'll get another fuse block and some connectors to fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts