TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every1 form way up north, this is my 1st post and i wish y' a H N Y :.
Anyway i have been reading some of the post and i'm interseted in inproviong preformance on the car , so far i have removed the air silencer added aK&N 8.5 M wires and upgraxded the Coil. i have read about a chip and a spacer but not sure what the spacer does.?? Fill me in
also i'm thinking about removing the resonator and replacing the exhaust with a duel system 2- 2.5" all the way back.
? i have is by doning this what would be the advantages I no air flow but what about back pressure .

Any elp would be good.

Cheer
Mark

·
Registered
552 Posts
removed - misinforming

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
tell that to rodeo joe, at least i think that's who has it, he's in the 13's, high 13's but it's there, and he has a 3.8 lx ;)

EDIT: it's rancherlee, my bad, sorry.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't know Rodeo Joe but its hard enough to get an sc into the 13s and keep it somewhat reliable so I can't even think of a 3.8na

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
he's got a vortech blown v6. and it's his dd if i'm not mistaken. don't quote me on that, though.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
x182dan said:
I don't know Rodeo Joe but its hard enough to get an sc into the 13s and keep it somewhat reliable so I can't even think of a 3.8na
I suggest you look around v6power.net for a little bit. It is entirely possible to get reliable performance out of a 3.8

I've learned a good deal just trolling through the tech there.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
yup, i still haven't abandoned my plans for doing a turbo in one of my v6's yet, maybe it'll happen eventually, mmmm, turbo'd splitport sounds really good... ;)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
x182dan said:
20,000+ miles with the vortech so far and anyone that knows me KNOWS I don't baby it :D few mustang guys in the 11's with there stock shortblocks also........ :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
x182dan said:
3.8lx? ya umm DON"T mod it no matter what you do that car is gonna be as slow as dog sh!t. Your gonna have to do a motor swap if you want that car to be quick

Do you self a favor and actually know what youre talking about before you say somthing.

There are TONS of 3.8,3,9 and 4.2's that are fast, and reliable. Ask tom Y and Matthew N. if their v6's are "slow as dog sh!t". Its actually relatively cheap to build a fast v6, with the benefits of a lighter car(v6's are lighter than the 4.6/5.0 iron blocks) its been proven that the later year 3.8's are a pretty stout engine and can take some abuse.

·
Registered
900 Posts
id suggest a split port swap first, also get some headers and an exhaust, and countless other little things, u can get 350 hp n/a. id suggest checking out www.v6power.net also if u want to price some stuff visit www.rpm-mustangs.com they have the split port swap there for about 950 also they have the sct chip, dont get discouraged if ignorant ppl tell u a 3.8 cant be fast, they can, ppl that tell u to just swap engines r often misinformed, ignorant, or just plain stupid

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Ainline41 said:
id suggest a split port swap first, also get some headers and an exhaust, and countless other little things, u can get 350 hp n/a. id suggest checking out www.v6power.net also if u want to price some stuff visit www.rpm-mustangs.com they have the split port swap there for about 950 also they have the sct chip, dont get discouraged if ignorant ppl tell u a 3.8 cant be fast, they can, ppl that tell u to just swap engines r often misinformed, ignorant, or just plain stupid
thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
upgareds

Hi All
Im watching the J hockey game it's awsume 2-0 4 canada,

Anyway after reading some more i think i'll first get a true duel exhaust 2" from the cats back $400.00 and remove the resonator then i have a Shift kit and a cooler installed.
As for motor upgrades thats done the road down

THis is what i have done so far:
20%tint 5 windows, removed silencer, added K&N filter, 8.5 Aurora Wires, Msd ignition
JVC head unit 4 PX 5x7, 2 CW10 subs @ approx 1000 w

Any suggestion OK

Cheers
Mark

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
You may want to listen to some exhaust sound clips (see the exhaust forum) of 3.8's before you decide to remove the resonator. Without a mid mounted muffler/resonator, 3.8's tend to sound rather ricey.

As mentioned above, the splitport swap is an excellent step forward in terms of 3.8L performance. The splitport swap, along with other minor mods, has my 94 LX running at least as strong as relatively stock 4.6L MN12's. There is quite a bit of info about the swap on this site.

As far as shift kits go, I highly recommend you read the "Ford Transmissions 101" tech article in the tech articles section of the site. You'll find that the J-mod is the recommended "shift kit" for your 4R70W.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Like others have said, go to v6power.net They have a LOT of helpful tech and very knowledgable v6 people over there. The v6 can have some serious power, the 11 second twin turbo mustang with 450rwhp like rancher mentioned, also, the low 10 second turbo justang with nearly 600rwhp which is DAILY DRIVEN by the owner.

If you want to make the car faster, I would concentrate on engine modifications before doing the exhaust. The stock v6 already doesnt have much backpressure on the stock exhaust, I would suggest getting some ported upper and lower intakes, underdrive pulleys, a performance chip, larger throttle body, and if you really want to make it faster, get ported heads and a performance camshaft.

-Thomas

·
Registered
552 Posts
we are talkign heavy tbirds hear not lighter mustang all I am saying is that it is gonna be very hard to make it FAST na sure with blower,turbo,nitrous it can be fast but lets look around in general how many so called fast tbirds are there? not many if you ask me weight is a big factor.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
187bird said:
There are TONS of 3.8,3,9 and 4.2's that are fast, and reliable. Ask tom Y and Matthew N. if their v6's are "slow as dog sh!t". Its actually relatively cheap to build a fast v6, with the benefits of a lighter car(v6's are lighter than the 4.6/5.0 iron blocks) its been proven that the later year 3.8's are a pretty stout engine and can take some abuse.
not to mention cheaper insurance, btw.... ;)

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
haha, funnay.

·
Registered
552 Posts
chorizon said:
not to mention cheaper insurance, btw.... ;)
my car is a 3.8 on insurance anyways

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
congrats.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts