TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out if my Cougar has traction-lok, we were up the mountains and when my dad was backing up into a hill (covered with rocks) the car spun wheels, the left tire dug a decently deep hole and I was like "wtf I thought the right rear wheel spun, does cougie have traction-lok?" I looked at my axle code and it says 5 under AX and in other threads about this someone said 5 is 3.27 with trac-tok and another said 5 is 3.27 open.. so what is it?? I saw that left rear wheel dig deep and the right wheel made some scraps in the road too but not deep. In the winter time 2 years back when my dad had it and we had alot of snow, he remarked it did perform suprisingly well in the deep snow for rear wheel drive. Can someone help figure out this mystery?? Thanks in Advance!

·
Administrator
8,176 Posts
Your axle code does state a 3.27 open. Go to the article and click on gears.

But on another note, you may also have an 8.8 rear. Early 3.8 cars did come equipped with 8.8s. Crawl under there and see what you have. The covers have markings on them stating the size. Look for a tag bolted to the cover, the gear ratio is stamped on it.

Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definatly a 7.5, it says it right on the pumpkin. Man I thought for almost certain it had trac-lok, is it the left rear wheel that spins if it doesn't have trac-lok? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Without traction lock the wheel with the least traction will spin. I have never seen a 7.5 traction lock in an mn-12 chassis from the factory.
Alan

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Backing up, and backing up a hill changed the dynamics of the usual one wheel peel being the right one. The reason it is usually the right is due to rotation direction and such, it isn't written in stone that one wheel peel happens in a certain way every time.

My dad thought I had trac loc in my 89. I had to move my 63 Falcon and my 82 f-150, and the most logical way to do that was the 89 Cougar (I know...). In the dirt it did a fine job of pulling them (the Falcon has 4 flat tires and was about 8 inches deep in the dirt) and I never spun a tire (more than 1/4 of a turn anyways) and just got the job done. My dad told me it had to be a trac loc, so I chained it back up to the truck, left it in gear, and let it rip, burying one side of the car. Amazing what a low HP/TQ high geared car will do. I wasn't to tough on the tranny, I had one of those stretchy ropes and snatched it with a little slack to get them going and they just followed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So.. the right wheel is the one the moves the car but in wierd situations the left can spin too?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
Steven said:
So.. the right wheel is the one the moves the car but in wierd situations the left can spin too?? Correct me if I'm wrong.
dirtyd0g said:
Without traction lock the wheel with the least traction will spin.

As Alan said, with an open diff, the wheel with the least traction will spin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dirtyd0g said:
I have never seen a 7.5 traction lock in an mn-12 chassis from the factory.
Rodeo Joe said:
But on another note, you may also have an 8.8 rear. Early 3.8 cars did come equipped with 8.8s.
Neither of those are common occurances, but some 3.8L NA MN12's did come from the factory with 8.8" centersections, and some 3.8L NA MN12's did come with 7.5" trac-locs from the factory. I have an example of each here at my place. However, the overwhelming majority of the 3.8L NA cars came with open 7.5" diffs.

-Rod

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK that clears everything up then, thank you!

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
racecougar said:
some 3.8L NA MN12's did come with 7.5" trac-locs from the factory.
My base 91 had a 7.5" rear end with TL. Blew my mind when we pulled it out and swapped for an 8.8" I've got a picture floating around of the rear end tag.

-Melon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts