TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: OK, MY GIRLFRIENDS 89 THUNDERBIRD KINDA PICS N CHOOSES WHEN ITS GONNA DO THIS!! ROUGH IDLE, STALLS OUT UNDER LOW RPMS (creeping along or at red lights) im not sure exactly what the problem is, and that frustrates me cuz im pretty mechanically inclined!!! lol and i really dont feel like playin the whole trial and error game!! could it be distributor, wires, (already replaced plugs), egr valve....im not sure!?!? would be nice if i could find an "easy" solution to this problem!!! CUZ I'LL BE DAMNED IF SHES DRIVIN MY 96' TO WERK!!!! LOL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well.... i just got done replacing the cap and rotor, wires, egr valve, and throttle position sensor (i think its called!?!) it doesnt stall out now, PROBABLY WHILE IN PARK THE RPMS ARE AT 2 GRAND!!!! WTF!!!! im not sure what the hell is goin on!! the rpm issue didnt take place until i changed the throttle position thing!! i noticed in other threads ppl talkin about an "iac", but im not sure what it looks like to replace it! any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, no check engine light, im not sure why though. cuz theres something definately goin on!! maybe thats just the way 3.8s run!! lmao j/k

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
uhhh, how do i do that!?! (never had to replace one of these before!!) i did notice that it had some kind of screw/spring inside, but no outside adjusting point.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
first, take a chill pill. second, start with usual suspects

tps - you can do this with a screw on the side with a allen wrench
mass air - clean it
idle air bypass valve (iac) - its ontop of the throttle body. take it off and spray some brake cleaner in it.
vacuum leaks - spray some soapy water while idling, and try to find any leaks.

those are some places to start.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
no MAF on an 89 3.8 NA car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i thought!!!!! and "stevinator"said the iac was on top of the throttle body? i replaced that and it was called a throttled position valve!!! sooooo, wtf? i dont know.... im goin with my previous thought........3.8s just run this way!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
stop shouting. sorry, i forgot 89's dont have MAFs. the IAC goes by several different names. The real name is Air Bypass Valve I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways, yeah its good you replaced it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
No. That is located on the side of the throttle body. The IAC is the black thing on top. It looks like this:

IAC:

Throttle Position Sensor:

=)
now i know what i'm looking for :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lmao!!! yup that thing you called the iac, they told me it was the tpv!! lol maybe their not up on their thunderbird parts lingo. but yeah, ok then... i replaced the"iac" then. and there wasnt a adjusting point on that... not that i seen anyways.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts