TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all 3.8ers,
I was looking at getting some new 02 sensors and was wondering what you have paid for some new ones and if you have noticed any difference in driving? Smoother? Gas Mileage? Do we need two sensors?
Thanks
Donnie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last time I bought them they were around $50-$60 a piece. Yes, you need two. One for each bank. I don't know if you'll notice any difference in how smooth your engine runs, but depending on how worn your current ones are you should notice some mpg gains. I used to be able to knock down 30-31 mpg on the highway with my 3.8 n/a when my o2 sensors were fairly new.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I kept pretty close track for a while. After I blew the headgaskets and it was in a good state of tune it ran really well. Even with crappy worn out ignition components and old o2 sensors on 214,000 miles I still get 26-27 on the highway. How do I do it? I don't know, nothing special, I keep it around 10 over and I don't jump all over it every chance I get. Actaully, I get the best and most consistent mileage on my SC's. My '95 regularly pulls down low 30's. Again this is on 100% highway driving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I don't know what to tell you. Highway driving for me (Michigan) is anywhere between 70-80mph. I don't think any stock 3.8 n/a should get below 24mpg on all highway driving assuming it is in good tune. At least that has been my experience with several of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the '97 3.8 they were about $100 a piece, and there are 3 of them on the 97. Luckily I had the dealership do that for me free when I bought the car (check engine light was on)

Josh C

·
Registered
51 Posts
O2 sensors

Yup, they are a b**ch to change......I gave up and took it to the dealer.....it took them 3 hrs, a lot of swearing and an acetelene torch to get those bastids off, since they were on there so long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts