TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys has anyone here done the 3.8 sc engine swap to a fox body 3.8l car. I have a 1988 cougar 3.8l and I wanto to swap to the 3.8 sc engine how hard would it be to do this swap and anything else I need thanks guys lmk.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about this and I wanna go 3.8 sc so I will need to swap everything from the sc right. I found my junker car already and its close to my house but I dont know how much they want for it. Thnaks anything else I need to know and has anyone done this swap yet thanks lmk.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
You'll have to make some custom intercooler plumbing, might have to stretch a couple of wiring harnesses, but luckily, the Fox cars are pretty accepting of swaps like these. Plenty of room under the hood, used the same mounts and transmission as the MN-12, definitely not impossible. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What Josh_Keady the tranny and mounts wont work on the fox body or what also for the driveshaft which one will work thanks guys lmk.

·
Registered
150 Posts
for the most part, you can just relocate many fenderwell and firewall mounted things for the harness to reach

the intercooler piping will definatly have to be custom, it my buddy comes by, maybe i can park side to side and look at what things would take to work

the engine mounts are the same, but im not sure about transmission, is the MN12 tranny and fox tranny the same length, if it is, it should mount right up no problem, and you should be able to use your stock driveshaft, if not, you could use your stock tranny, but it wont last too long

if you have the money and time, give it a shot, id love to see it done

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
As long as it's pre-'93, they use the same AOD tranny. Only difference is the shift linkage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys so a 93 and before have the same lenght tranny so I can use it. Also is it true what they say at SCCoA that with headers duals no catalic converters and thick pipe will give me like 75hp. thanks anyother things I need to know thanks lmk

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I don't know about 75 hp, but it will certainly make a larger difference on an SC'd motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys Is it true that the 94/95 sc t-birds had the AOD the same as the 3.8 NA AOD. thanks lmk

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
88cat said:
Hey guys Is it true that the 94/95 sc t-birds had the AOD the same as the 3.8 NA AOD. thanks lmk
No they have an electronically controlled 4r70w

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
83-93 = Totally mechanical AOD

94-97 = Electronically controlled 4R70W

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So guys I was asking if some supercoupes had the aod cause If the 4R70W does not fit with the driveshaft I have to use my aod and If It would handle the power. Do you guys think my aod tranny from 1988 3.8 NA will handle the 3.8sc a guy on cool cats forum did it and he used the 3.8 aod tranny NA and it is holding up so far. But If I use the aod I also want to mod the engine in the future and if the aod will handle the punishment. thanks lmk

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
YES ALL 1989-1993 supercoupes had the AOD. ALL 1994-1995 supercoupes had the 4r70w.

You can use your transmission but don't expect it to last very long at all. Especially if you're going to mod the engine.

-Thomas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts