TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, if i purchase a 4.6 SOHC engine from the same year model (97) tbird as i have, can i do an evan swap ?? If not, what else do i need to purchase? new computer? new tranny? thanks in advance!

~Doug

·
Registered
343 Posts
Off the top of my head you will need new front springs rear end tuner and a bunch of other odds and ends. My suggestion by a v8 and build up th espare 4.6

·
8,239 Posts
if you are going to put the 4.6 motor you will need a 8.8 rear, and don't even bother doing the swap for a 96-97 4.6 motor, when the 99+ motor is far superior.

JH

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
easiest way to do that swap is to SELL the v6 car and buy a v8 car. it will cost less talke less time and less headach.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
unless he already dumped big $$$ into the interior or exterior.

If you do want to do just a motor swap, get a PI motor. Besides, federal regulations require you to use a same-year or newer engine.

Here is a list:
engine itself
V8 trans, rebuild yours, or one from Dennis Reinhart.
driveshaft
pumpkin
halfshafts?
engine harness
EEC re-burn
full exhaust
motor mounts
front springs
radiator
all accessories (alt, water pump, etc.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are the wiring, connectors and other electrical hardware the same in later MN12 V6's and V8's?

If I don't sell my T45 I got a sweet deal on a Lincoln DOHC and 94 V6 Bird (bad motor)....need I say more? :gapteeth:

·
11,719 Posts
BlckOnyxXR7 said:
Are the wiring, connectors and other electrical hardware the same in later MN12 V6's and V8's?
No, you will need the wiring harness from a 96-97 if your going for a 96+ 4.6L OHC engine. It your case, It'd probably be easiest to get a Mark 8 harness. You'd still need all the things I listed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The engine comes with the wiring harness, I just don't want to get a V6 then find out I have to pull the dash

·
11,719 Posts
You might want an EEC from a 94-97 V8 because I think the 94-95 v6 EEC is EEC IV, while the 4.6L's are EEC V.

You'll have to get into the passenger side of your dash to install your Mark 8 harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts