TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the headers on a stock 3.8 the same in 96 as they in 90. what im trying to say is will the 90 headers fit the 96 with no changes to the exhaust just a simple bolt on. thanks.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
The 90 didn't have headers, just manifolds. Only the 96-97 had the factory headers. What you might want to ask yourself is: "Will the 96 headers fit the 90?" Yes they will but you'll need to change one of the downtubes, the passenger side I believe.

Joe

·
Registered
278 Posts
All were manifolds, Ford can call them Headers if they want, but there manifolds. Real headers have smooth bends and true roundness. Fords "headers" do not, just like the 5.0 Stangs.

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Thanks!

From now on I'll refer to them as 96-97 tube "manifolds". :znanner:

Joe

·
Registered
710 Posts
Haha if you call up ford they'll call them manifolds no matter WHAT year u tell them! And i got a price quote for the stock "manifolds" on a 96/97 thunderbird (these are approximations, i can't remember exactly what the guy said) - Left side: 260$ Right side: 391$ How's that for nice stock-ness.... WOW that sucks, i'd be much better off getting some JBA's!!! Or just getting them out of a junkyard for prolly 150 or somethin.... How much do you guys think they'd be in a j-yard?

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Spike......

jim who posts here picked up a set for short money. Plus he got the downtube and a Mark 8 driveshaft for his car. A nice day of shopping in the old boneyard!

Joe

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The headers you want come of a 96-97 Mustang. Get them from a wrecker cheap. The exhaust will have to be redone after the install as both tubes change angle. The drivers side header touches the steering shaft and melts the plactic cover, so you have to alter it or make a shield.

BlownMerc,
These headers are real full mandrell bent headers and not crappy ones like the 5.0's. Aftermarket shorties offer almost no gain unless the motor is really worked.

Here is a shot of mine that I had jethot coated:

http://www.mustangmods.com/publish/Flex//Polished2.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
the headers look real awesome flex...i wish i would have done them to mine...i went with the cheap old header paint...but anyway...you can you the 96-97 headers from the mustang...like in your case it obvioulsy worked with some modification to clear the steering shaft...but the 96-97 headers from the tbird/cougar require NO modification for the the steering shaft! so for anyone who plans on doing this mod i advise you to go with the tbird/cougar headers (96-97)

by the way...what did you pay to get the headers jet hot coated?...i think sometime in the spring in going to try to make the 99+ MAC longtube headers work...and perhaps jet hot coat them

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Jim,
I didn't know that. Tom Y, of SSM told me they were the same (no surprise). I paid $120 US to get them coated. We have a shop here in town that does them. I originally got a 4 cylinder Mustang header done about 5 years ago. It still looks the same and is mint (no rust or buildup) inside and out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
120 isnt bad...got a powdering coating place in town near me....gonna go see if they do the jet hot and what price...maybe i'll just take my headers off and get them done but not sure if i should waste money and time if i try the longtubes...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Jim,
The big bonus of LT's is the added torque, but they require the exhaust system to be redone.
The process requires a special oven, I believe, but check as this place does powdercoating too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yes the torque is what i want them for...modding the exhaust shouldnt be hard at all...just hack off the stock tubes where the longtubes end and match them up...probably gonna catless if i do it...

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
no, you do not want them off of a mustang because the mustang ones will not clear your steering column on the drivers side. get the ones off of a 96/97 at a junkyard for 120 or so with the driver side down tube and egr tube. then they will bolt on.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
is it imparative that you get the EGR tube and downtube?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well you could do an EGR delete and have a custom tube fabricated if you really wanted to.
-Thomas

·
Registered
710 Posts
hah yeah well i know WHAT the EGR is but i dunno exactly where the tube is located and what not.... and another thing, i don't mean to sound stupid here but.... i have my exhaust done and i dunno exactly what a downtube is.... i'm just thinking it's the tubes that go from the collector of the header to the cats? or am i wrong here.... inform the uninformed

·
Administrator
8,240 Posts
Spike said:
i dunno exactly what a downtube is.... i'm just thinking it's the tubes that go from the collector of the header to the cats?
So proud of you grasshopper! :thumbsup: The EGR tube runs from the passenger header up to the valve.

Joe

·
Registered
710 Posts
LoL yes... and now, grasshopper will steal the pebble from your hand haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts