TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would need to be done in order to swap a 3.8 for a 5.0? The only thing i can think of is the trans and the wiring.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
with a 5.0 flexplate the 5.0L will bolt directly to the 3.8L tranny.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sorry if you don't get too many responses to your question. This has been covered many times so people are probably sick of dealing with it. Use the search function and you will find much more info.

PJ

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
If you are going to swap the 5.0 in for the 3.8, I highly recommend that you find an entire donor car (91-93 'Bird or Cougar) that way if you end up needing something else towards the end of the swap, you've got the car there. If you get it just the engine/tranny from a junk yard, and end up needed some pieces, then you haveta find the part.

It may take a bit longer to find a donor 5.0, but there's a good chance it would make life easier in the long run. Just some advice - otherwise good luck with the swap if you choose to do so.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
773 Posts
Easy swap I did it over a week end but I pulled the motor and wiring from a donor tbird! Pull the motor and wiring up to the puter pull the puter too, get the ac lines and power stearing hoses, all the vacuum hoses from the motor to the fire wall,their is a little vacuum res on the passanger side frame rail, and grab the throttol, and cruse control cable , grab the h pipe and rear exhaust, i pulled the v8 tranny too but have been running the 6 cyl tranny since july so far so good! Radiator is the same fan shroud is different the 6 cyl fuel pump seems to do fine. this is about all i can think of. I had to swap a couple wires in the harness but i cannot remember witch one they were i know one was for temp sensor but thats all i rembember!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts