TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase a 93 taurus sedan with a 3.8 engine and 98k on it and was wondering how they stacked up against a similiarly equipped bird. Its got moderate rear end damage but i'm only paying $250 so i might just buy it and hit it with nitrious until it blows(i'm thinking about a 150hp shot lol!).I know they're considerably lighter then a bird and I was just curious if anyone had any input on the subject.

·
Registered
620 Posts
IMO a Taurus and a Tbird with the 3.8 should be comparable. They both have the same hp and torque ratings and the Taurus is lighter. Very close if not the same performance head to head.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Wrong blackcat94, the only difference between the motors is the upper intake manifold :rolleyes:

I'd hit it with 50 then work upto a 75 or 100. 150 would blow the motor your first run at a track and then it would be worthless.

-Thomas

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Hmm... a 93 Taurus sedan would make a good daily driver hehe... just kidding.. ok, so not really but Taurus' aren't all bad. My sister has an 88 with well over 100k miles (maybe even close to 200k?) and it's still pretty dependable. She hasn't had any major problems with it.

If you are going for a daily driver, then I'd go for it. If your looking to mod it and make a sleeper, may want to consider the SHO. Not really sure what your intention is with it.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since its only $250 i just want to fix it(about $100)and see what she can do before it blows up. I plan on some exhaust work and maybe some of the other 3.8 engine tricks(NOS for sure). it might be a daily driver but that wouldnt be nearly as fun!I think i can get it into the thirteens before it burns to the ground.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Thomas said:
Wrong blackcat94, the only difference between the motors is the upper intake manifold :rolleyes:
Well any 3.8L Taurus hood I've looked under (not that many, but...) seemed to have exactly the same upper intake manifold as our 3.8's, judging by looks only.

·
8,978 Posts
BlackCat94 said:

Well any 3.8L Taurus hood I've looked under (not that many, but...) seemed to have exactly the same upper intake manifold as our 3.8's, judging by looks only.
Well I'm telling you you're wrong.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
thomas, you forgot another difference (though, im almost sure the taurus intake nearly the same if not the same).. the blocks are different. the FWD trans has a different bolt pattern than the aod/4r70w has. but they still suffer for the same headgasket problems. -greg

·
Registered
484 Posts
ive been told they suffer trans problems when you put any kind of power to them. My whole family drives tauruses, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles. Our family reunions look like Taurus club meets.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
JohnNaas said:
My whole family drives tauruses, grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles. Our family reunions look like Taurus club meets.
half my roommates have bubble tauri.... while about a dozen or more of my friends have various tauri, not to mention a good portion of the people at my apartment complex have tauri as well. oh, and some sables, basically the same thing. so on some days, it could look like a taurus/sable club meet around here. -greg

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only difference between a T-bird 3.8 and a Taurus 3.8 is the block and the exhauste manifolds. You could only get the 3.8 from i think around 89 up until 95 in the Taurus.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its had new head gaskets put on less then a year ago and the transmission has 30k on it so its mechanically sound, for right now at least.

·
8,978 Posts
Yeah I know the tranny bolt pattern was different but it wasn't really relevant to the situation so I didn't include it, sorry for any confusion.

And yes, the upper manifold is different, does no one believe me? Measure the runners on the tbird's 3.8 then measure the runner length on the taurus upper manifold. They are shorter on the taurus to clear the hood.

I think exhaust manifolds being different is pretty much implied, plus they are not part of the engine.

-Thomas

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well Thomas you could be right but i really don't think you are so i will measure the intake on my T-bird and my Taurus. I'll let you know if it's the same.

·
8,978 Posts
Here's some more info I found on the difference in engines.

FWD 3.8L models have a balance shaft, the RWD models do not. Ford decided to omit the balance shaft and instead put huge, rubbery, fluid filled motor mounts on the RWD models. Because of this, there are minor differences in the cam setup, and major differences in the block. (Openings not bored, oil passages slightly different.)

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts

·
8,978 Posts
Any proof yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
To tell the truth Thomas it's been -18 *C here for the past week and i just didn't think it was important enough for me to freeze to death to prove or disprove. But I will check today or tomorrow and either way i will post the results.

·
8,978 Posts
Canadianthunder said:
To tell the truth Thomas it's been -18 *C here for the past week and i just didn't think it was important enough for me to freeze to death to prove or disprove. But I will check today or tomorrow and either way i will post the results.
Oh it's worth death :D providing vital info for a mass of people is always worth death. Let us all know whenever you get a chance.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one." Spock

-Thomas

1 - 20 of 38 Posts