TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Not sure if it's possible, but I'm curious as to why you would want to do it. Unless your going to put your supercharger on the 4.0, you'll be loosing power and there's a chance of loosing gas mileage. I've got a 91 3.8 T-Bird and average 20-24, depending on city and high travel - my dad has a 92 Explorer with the 4.0 and he gets 18-22, depending on travel.

I know the 4.2's fit but I'm not quite sure about the 4.0L from Explorers. It'd be interesting to see one in place of the 3.8. Again, I don't know if it's possible, just wondering why swap to a 4.0? Will you find a way to put the supercharger on from your 3.8 on the 4.0?

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
933 Posts
actually the mileage is from the aerodynamics and rolling friction difference
but yeah, why do you want the 4.0
to make it mount up I believe the bellhousing would have to be swapped
I also believe the block is a different width and length (longer stroke for difference) which means byebye SC
just mod or something
but an engine swap in a supercoupe is worthless unless we can find a forged 4.2 crank

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bottom line is you can do any swap you want but you have to decide how much time and money you want to spend.... to get the results you want. If you bought a wrecked Explorer with the drivetrain in good shape for $100 then your parts cost is going to be low but it's going to take a *lot* of work to transfer everything over. And you'll be a lot slower then the SC 3.8 unless there's a blower kit for the 4.0 (???). The 4.0 is a completely different engine than the 3.8/4.2. You'd have to swap the whole driveline from the engine to the back universal (if driveshaft length is ok) and maybe get into fabricating mounts for the engine and trans. Conversely if you paid $1000 for a new 4.2 shortblock it will bolt right in and run with not much more than a chip, maybe not even that. You'd lose the blower but still be quicker than a 3.8 and close to a stock 302.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts