TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 96 T-bird. I bought it with a v-6 engine but a short time ago the rod bearings sttarted to go and it began knocking. I thought this was the perfect reason to put a v-8 in it. I have a 96 v-8 car with 45K actual miles I picked up in september from a friend of the family after having a tree fall on it during hurricane gaston. Anyway, the v-8 car ran great up until the time I pulled the drivetrain out. It sat under a tarp in the back yard for about a month. I have since taken the complete drivetrain including engine, tranny, rear end, computer, and cooling/a/c system off the v-8 and put it in my car. The car runs and is driveable but it idles kinda high (around 1500rpm in park and 1000rpm in drive) plus it has a slight miss and hessitation. The miss is very noticeable at idle but seems to get better as the engine speed increases. The hessitation seems to be related to the miss and generally only when the accelerator is pressed at least half way quick. Is this normal after the engine sitting for a month or is there something I may have overlooked? It seems like its something simple, I just don't know what. I pulled the plugs and they looked fine however I did clean them and check them for proper gap. Could t be a sticky injector? If so, how do I determine which one and how do I fix it? I'm trying to fix this as inexpensively as I can as I have a baby one the way and need to make preporations for that. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I have check all the vacuum lines but found nothing out of sorts. One was kinda dry rotted so I replaced it but the car still runs the same. Any other suggestions?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Are you using all the V-8 electronics including the MAF and did you replace the entire engine harness? Some other things to research for future reference...does the V-6 and V8 Tbird use the same fuel pump

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timb,
I did a complete swap including the engine harness, MAF, PCM and fuel tank including the pump. Everything seems to be hooked up right except that darn miss. After closer examination I think I have found the problem. There is a slight hissing sound coming from the throttle body where it meets the intake. Im going to replace that gasket tomorrow and see how it turns out. I'll let you all know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
another thought; there is a bleed air adjust screw in plug next to the TPS... sometimes these come loose/ fall out (the apeture is on the underside of the casting so you need a mirror to check it...) some come with a rubber plug, some dont ... drove me nuts trying to figure out ... good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heres the latest, I replaced the intake spacer and the throttle body gasket as well as another dry rotted vacuum line but still no luck. I also checked that bleed valve and it seemed to be tight. When I pull various vacuum lines off the throttle body it changes my idle some but the miss is still there. The car idles fine, just high but under acceleration it misses terribly. Should I chock it up and pay the dealer to diagnose it or is there something else I can check that doesn't cost alot. I have checked, rechecked, and checked again to make sure all my wires and vacuum lines and had someone go behind me to check again. Damn if I know what to check next. The car is not throwing a check engine light and the plugs and plug wires are new. I even went as far as buying OEM wires and plugs from the dealer. I need to get this car going soon but I'm at a loss. Please help if you can! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Coil pack breaking down? Maf's go anytime after 60K, maybe paying the $50 , or so for a dealer diagnostic isnt so bad after all, and they may come up with something simple as he11..... Before you do, see if there is any difference in any plugs... might be a tip off as to which cyl to trace out....... Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leland,
If it is my MAF Im gonna be extrememly pi$$ed. I has less than 1000 miles on it. I just bought it on Holloween. I did check prior to the engine swap and the v-6 and v-8 MAF are one in the same. As I have a parts car, tomorrow I will pull the plugs and checkh them for difference, if need be I'll switch the coil packs and see if that helps. Otherwise, I have an appointment on Wednesday morning at the Ford dealer to let them diagnose it. I'll let you know the turn out.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
look over the condition of the coil packs, i think the idle miss and the high idle are 2 differtent problems, id take a close look at

- pcv
- iac
- plug gap

i have a doubt the maf could cuase a miss, high idle it might cuase, but if its rather new, id rule it out, did the maf sit outside with the engine for a month?

is there any sort of pinging or other issues with the engine, or soley high idle and a miss?

id go over every sensor with a fine tooth comb, if you dont see anything take it to a dealer, just dont mention the engine isnt stock, tell them your not sure why its doing it but ask them to check the vacum lines and sensors b/c you think there old

i know if i was a service writer i wouldnt take the car in lol

just dont be an @$$ if they dont find anything like alot of customers are when they do there own work and then a dealer blames a problem on them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts