TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well the PI swap into my 94 3.8 has hit a snag.

Problem #1- On the front of the right shock tower there is some sensor.
Part # (F4SF12a359AB) what is this? It is NOT the shock sensor. It is black in color and rectangle. It faces the front of the car. Whatever it is Ford said they do not have that part # listed anymore. The plug that goes to that sensor is different from the 95 V8 t-bird harness to the 04 PI engine. Looks like I can trim the connector and the pins will line up inside. But what is it??

Problem #2- My 94 3.8 is ODB I and the 95 T-bird V8 harness is ODB II. I bought the entire engine harness and I also got the V8 harness that goes from the engine bay thru the firewall and to the ECU. However does this mean that when I plug it in to the ECU will the connector that is located under the driver side dash work? As of now that plug I don't think does anything..? If not how do I make that thing work so I can communicate with the ECU?? Or do I need to pull the dash in order to route in a new connector?

Wish I could take pics but the car is about 1 hour south from where I live.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
the black rectangle... is it perhaps teh EEC? or the voltage regualtor? and, yes, you will be able to use the odbII port on the underside with the wiring. thats why it says "not functional on 3.8 engines"

·
5,650 Posts
Problem 1: Sounds like the ignition control module. Swapping engines is not so simple as replacing the engine harness and PCM. I believe you also need the wiring that goes from the firewall to the MAF, IAT, and EVAP components. It runs under the black plastic cover that runs over the passenger shock tower. Don't even think about trimming the connector it to fit. It either fits or it doesn't. You need the right ignition control module (or EDIS module) and the right harness.

Problem 2: I believe the dash wiring for the V8 is different and includes the OBDII connector that goes under the glove box. You might need to pull the dash and transfer wiring from the donor car to yours, and that's just the wiring inside the car. As I said above, you need to transfer every harness you in the engine compartment as there are more than just the engine harness.

·
The Parts Guy
7,645 Posts
In regards to problem #1: Is this a California Emissions 94 with DIS ignition? Is the part you're describing a retangular, thin, black plastic module, with a relatively thin rectangular plug? I can't remember exactly how many pins it would have, but 12 is ringing a bell for some reason. If so, that is the EDIS module. You'll need a 94-95 V8 EDIS module for your new harness/ECU.

-Rod

EDIT: You can see the EDIS module in this picture. Though your module will be mounted on a small, black metal bracket, rather than directly to the shock tower.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
looks like you need a 1995 dash harness is your donor car still avaliable?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can go to the yard and pull any harness I need. So what do I need to do..? Just trace the connector from under the driverside dash all the way behind the dash to where? Can't I just cut about 6 inches behind the donor's car plug and splice it onto my car somewhere without having to remove my car's dash?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
nope, youll need the whole harness, the back body harness is the same so your ok there youll need to remove the dash

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jk89cat said:
nope, youll need the whole harness, the back body harness is the same so your ok there youll need to remove the dash
Still not gettting the info I need. Where does the "back body harness" start and end? What does this harness power?? What does this harness lead too? When I get this, do I just remove my old one? Will this replace the plug under my driverside dash? please try and be more specific so i can pull the correct wiring from the donor car.

·
The Parts Guy
7,645 Posts
The rear body harness starts at the large connector by the parking brake pedal, and it ends at the rear taillights. You won't need to change that harness.

You will need to swap out your dash harness. The main connector for that is at the top left corner of the firewall, near the brake master cylinder.

-Rod

·
5,650 Posts
In addition, I think you need the harness that runs by the computer area that goes up along the passenger shock tower and then down the framerail to the front of the car. It is housed in a black plastic thing and branches off to the MAF and IAT sensors, the EDIS module, and then towards the front of the car where I believe it connects to the EVAP components, the CCRM, the cooling fan, the A/C high-pressure cut-out switch and several other things.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
racecougar said:
The rear body harness starts at the large connector by the parking brake pedal, and it ends at the rear taillights. You won't need to change that harness.

You will need to swap out your dash harness. The main connector for that is at the top left corner of the firewall, near the brake master cylinder.

-Rod

Rod, can you explain this to me. What does my 3.8 dash harness have different than a 4.6 dash harness? Is it just the ODB II connector and wiring that the V8 has and the V6 doesn't? If that is true then can't I just cut off some wiring from the ODB II connector on the V8 car and just splice it into the new v8 harness I have? I mean the ODBII connector runs to the ECU..so me having all the V8 wiring going to the ECU I should be able to just splice into it right? I might be wrong on this..but just seems like a much easier way to do it if the only differences between the two harnesses is the ODB II connector...

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
splicing would cause you more work than you think . you can have the dash outa that car in a 1-2 hours depending how fast you are . also i beleive splicing would cause you nitemares that you dont need to deal with

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy doing my car is a wiring pro. So I would rather have him just splice into the harness. Reason being that I have several lots of aftermarket wiring behind that dash that goes to my monitors that I really don't want touched. PLus this guy is very expensive by the hour and pulling the dash and re-installing it would cost me a good amount. Where he said if I cut behind that connector on the V8 car and take it to him he can soldier it onto the harness in about an hour. So I think I might go that route.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ah you didnt say you were not doing the work . i dont know how to go about this then .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to my guy today. He told me it would cost at LEAST an extra $500 to pull the dash and put it back in. So we believe if I go to the junk yard and pull the ODB II connector and wiring behind it and try and follow it all the way to the ECU he can just soldier it in. I don't believe the back harnesses from V6 to V8 are any different rather than just those connectors. The speedo and the door wiring all that is the same. So the only differences between the two harnesses we BELIEVE is the ODBII leads going to the ecu. Please someone jump in if there are any other differences.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You might want to just swap the entire dash harness anyways. At least that way you know with a certainty that all the wires are correct. I'd rather do it that way than have to go chasing wiring later. Unless you get the wiring diagrams for each vehicle and compare the schematics to make sure those are the only differences. Though it seems to me that that would have been step #1 in this swap. And I have done a 3.8 to 4.6 swap before, it was just in a Mustang.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well in the mustang it does make a difference because the clusters are different. Well at least the v6 and v8's have different part #'s. I am going to give it a try without taking the dash off. If it doesn't work, then I guess it won't leave me any choice but to pull the dash. I'll keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts