TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i'm looking for an answer to this question: What vehicles besides the T-Bird/Cougar can a 4.6 be found in? basically i mean like wiring harness and such, and do any bolt up to the AOD tranny? I would like to swap this motor in because it sounds sweet. I heard a Grand Marquis go down the road (mufflerless) and I absolutely fell in love with the sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Well to answer most of the question, the 4.6's can be found in many of cars such as the Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford CrownVic, Lincoln Mark 5 or 8, Ford F-150, Ford Expeditions, Ford Mustang or and Landrover Rangerover but im not sure if the harness's will fit.
 

·
The Parts Guy
Joined
·
7,425 Posts
The 3.8L to 4.6L swap isn't exactly easy, especially on a 89-93 3.8L MN12. I posted a fair amount of info about it back when I swapped the 4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7, so if you run a search on the topic with my screenname in there, you should find some reading material.

Good luck.

-Rod
 

·
Full Metal
Joined
·
4,744 Posts
DSBirdman89 said:
ok, i'm looking for an answer to this question: What vehicles besides the T-Bird/Cougar can a 4.6 be found in? basically i mean like wiring harness and such, and do any bolt up to the AOD tranny?
none of the 4.6 engines will bolt up to your aod, and you definately do not wanna put a v8 on the v6 aod, especially the early ones, it won't hold up, the only engine that will bolt up to the v6 tranny besides the 3.8 are most of the non modular v8 engines 5.0, 5.8, etc.
 

·
The Parts Guy
Joined
·
7,425 Posts
chorizon said:
none of the 4.6 engines will bolt up to your aod
Actually, a 92 Crown Vic 4.6L will bolt right up to a AOD, I believe. But I definitely wouldn't go that route.

-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
94cougar4.6 said:
Well to answer most of the question, the 4.6's can be found in many of cars such as the Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford CrownVic, Lincoln Mark 5 or 8, Ford F-150, Ford Expeditions, Ford Mustang or and Landrover Rangerover but im not sure if the harness's will fit.
How did the Mark V that ceased production 12-years before that engine came out have one? :D ;)
 

·
Full Metal
Joined
·
4,744 Posts
racecougar said:
Actually, a 92 Crown Vic 4.6L will bolt right up to a AOD, I believe. But I definitely wouldn't go that route.

-Rod
that's funny, i hear all the time that none of the mod motors have the aod bolt pattern, you learn something new every day.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top