engine
transmission
rear end
axleshafts
driveshaft
computer
engine wiring harness
new sensors
rumor has it a new tach (I think the v8's are weighted differently, but not 100% sure)
v8 exhaust from front to back complete
v8 front suspension
lot's of beer
gullible friends

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
:zwthstpd: if he really wants to do a V8 swap into his bird, he should just go pick up a new one, unless he's got a ton of work into it he doesn't want to lose. Personally, like Nitefire I'm gonna go with a built 4.2

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
tell him to get a 4.6 DOHC from a mark viii, find the 99+ 'C'style heads, and get the sullivan carb intake with the cam driven distributor. No computer, no hassle :D
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
right. it was more of a joke, because parts for that kind of setup cost well over 3 grand, let alone the cost of engine, tranny, driveshaft, etc.
-Thomas

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Thomas, we all know you were serious, you'd jump on it if you had the $$ so shhh :tongue:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah i would just buy a new t-bird. even swapping over the performance parts he has on his t-bird would be less of a hassle then all that BS. plus you can get a decent bird around here for 2 grand. if he is dead set on keeping his t-bird (like me). just do the 4.2 swap. it'll be a sweet *** sleeper.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
It is not cost efective to do this. What a lot of people do is use the 96-97 3.8 computer and wiring harness and swaping in a 99 and above split port mustang 3.8. I would recomend selling the 3.8 car and get a 96-97 v8 car preferably a 96.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Both swaps are completely doable. That being said, you better know what you're doing before you start buying anything, or plan on spending quite a bit of time learning as you go.

If your friend does decide to do either swap, and has specific questions, he's welcome to PM or email me.

-Rod

·
8,978 Posts
blown96bird said:
It is not cost efective to do this. What a lot of people do is use the 96-97 3.8 computer and wiring harness and swaping in a 99 and above split port mustang 3.8. I would recomend selling the 3.8 car and get a 96-97 v8 car preferably a 96.
why a 96 over a 97?

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Thomas said:
why a 96 over a 97?
Cause that noobie Thomas likes 97s and we all wanna spite him :D

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
the reason why a 96 over a 97 is ford thrifted the car in 97 leaving a lot of nice features off the car. 1. no locking glove box 2. no locking inside trunk release 3. no hydrolic glove box strut 4. no lights in the doors 5. tarus insturment cluster 6. no underhood light 7. no chrome trim in the sun roof seal.

On the plus side 4 wheel disk brakes became standard regardless if you bought ABS early in the 96 model. Some very early 96 cars without abs had rear drum brakes. The 97 have useable cup holders compared to earlier models.

·
8,978 Posts
what about stuff like better tranny and aluminum crossover intake? cup holders are a plus but not real important.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Thomas said:
cup holders are a plus but not real important.
Not to mention can easily be swapped in/out with the resources available around here

1 - 20 of 35 Posts