TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions on ways to modify the passenger side cat forward down pipe to fit my 3.8l

As some you may know, I purchased a cat forward assembly and it is made for an older model. The drivers side down pipe will fit and the exhaust to muffler pipe will need a bulb, so how do I modify the passenger side to fit?

I was thinking of just cutting off the passenger down pipe past the cat and just putting in a elbow and manifold flange, then a straight piece back to the cut off, screw the cat on the passenger side.

Maybe cut out the passenger side cat, piece together a new elbow to the manifold with flange to the cat and a straight pipe back to the cut point.

Taking it to a shop is $99 an hour and you know it will take them a couple of hours to modify it, give me crap about the cat, bla bla bla….

And I need to add a bulb to the rear of the assembly.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been a few weeks (of hell) but I got it installed. I ended up cutting off the passenger cat and hooking up the passenger side cat forward exhaust using flex exhaust tubing, RTV high heat sealant and band clamps. The only thing I could not do was create a bunt mount for the O2 sensor. I also had to put a ball on the end to mount to the back exhaust.

I was looking around on line at parts I could use to get the O2 sensor mounted and stumbled on a whole cat forward system from RockAuto, that was not there weeks ago when I was looking, that was a close out with the O2 sensor bunt on the passenger side. I just got it this morning and verified this is the correct kit for my car.

I will be installing this system for the price of the cat with a the O2 sensor built in.

I love close outs.

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
I would have just swapped to the older passenger exhaust manifold before going through all that!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi MadMike,
Yeah, if the cat was not plugged, that is what I wanted to do. I have already increased my power level getting the old cats off the engine. The car no longer bogs down after it hits normal operating temp. Kinda nice! But, this cat set up is temporary. No right side O2 and it rattles and is loud cause of the resonators that came with it.

Thanks Mike for the feedback.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts