TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I've come across another sensor in my disassembly and documentation of my 3.8L as I prep it for a splitport upgrade. I will publish a more thorough walkthrough with tips and suggestions but for now, I could use some help in identifying a mystery sensor. I've consulted my shop manual and EVTM and this is what I know:

* This sensor is a single wire sensor similar in wiring and shape to to the temp sender for the factory temp gauge that is mounted to the T-shape underneath the coolant air bleed valve. It's not the gauge temp sender.

* This sensor sits on a coolant pipe. It's mounted on the hard pipe that goes from the front of the intake manifold, runs alongside the passenger side valve cover, to a rubber hose connected to the heater core, and finally ending at the rear of the intake manifold.

* I confirmed with the EVTM that it's NOT the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. That's the one that sends the coolant temp to the PCM and is mounted to the second t-shaped adapter to the left of the air-bleed valve.

* Finally, it's not the Intake Air Temp Sensor (IAT) as that one is mounted at the rear of the lower intake manifold according to my EVTM.

Q: So if it's not the gauge temp sensor and not the PCM's temp sensor, what is this?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Please note that in my pic, the heater core has been bypassed. I'm just trying to figure out what this sensor is so I can determine if I need to add anything to the new splitport manifold.

Thanks,
-g

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's for the auto climate control
Thanks for the prompt reply! I confirmed this in my shop manual.
Section 12-03B-36

It's the "Temperature Control Lockout Valve and Switch" found in cars with the Semi Auto Temp Control only.

According to the wiring manual of the same manual (section 12-03B-12), it's connected to the SATC module which I don't have installed anymore so I can safely skip it without an annoying CEL coming on.

That's one less item for me to deal with....
-g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts