TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much potential does a 3.8L have? I mean staying Naturally Aspirated - no Supercharger, no Turbo, no bottle. Curious about HP/Torque numbers. Nothing real wild or anything - basically the first two degree's of 3 Degree's of Power Adding (nicely done Rancherlee)

I'm thinking about what I want to do when my 3.8 dies. If there's enough potential, I'll stay 3.8 just to be different, otherwise I will go V8.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
You could go the 3.8 Split port route, more power than the single port. Also is the 4.2 like P. J. did. P+P everything and you'll have something different plus I think a lot less work too than going with the V8. My 2 cents for ya! ;)

Joe

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the only problem with 4.2 is i dont think andy wants to give up his cervinis hood.... however, andy. get a 99+ 3.8 with the split port intake like joe said. p&p everything, a good cam, some rocker rollers, stronger parts, bigger maf and tb, a nice tune, a torque converter with a 3000 rpm stall (or a manual if you really wanna spend big bucks), and a bigger gear ratio. then youll be kissing all those little ricers goodbye, even tho a stock 3.8 can do that to most out there anyway. -greg

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The 3.8L splitport mustang upper bolts right onto the 4.2L truck lower so that solves the intake problem.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I'm just throwing idea's around now. If I have the money at the time, I may build up a 3.8, otherwise will just fix what's wrong and then work with it later. I'm just trying to have a few plans set up so if/when it happens, I'm ready with some stuff.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I think a Nice Mild 240hp and 260tq @ the flywheel is possible with a mild 4.2L build (take PJ's car and slap a mild port and polish on the heads with a cam) If I were to start over it WOULD be a 4.2L splitport.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that could be done without spending more than 5 grand or so, that would be sweet. I'm seriously considering it since I'm going to keep my 3.8L as a daily driver and find an SC to play with. But those plans are still a year away. I've got a few things to do to my 'Bird right now.

You think hitting those numbers could be done with 5 grand or less invested into the engine?

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Stock 98+ 4.2L used from a wrecking yard ~1200$.
P n' P heads about 600$
Cam 200$
Upper intake off a splitport mustang ported 300$
Gaskets and such 200$
8.8" FRPP 3.73 rear diff and Supercoupe axels 800-1000$
bunch of other misc stuff like 01' stang oilpan and new motor mounts 300$

About 3800$ at the most to do this, you could put in new 351W rods and custom pistons for 1000$ so 4800$ and a you would have a basically NEW 4.2L with the ablility to handle 10-12psi boost down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts