TCCoA Forums banner

441 - 460 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'll update once I make some progress.

Mikey
Japan ehh? I was over there a few weeks ago exploring. Currently stationed in Korea. Anyways, it's nice to see someone who keeps everything up to date. I like seeing what you're doing to the car. Also, you may be taking the difficult route, but in the end you'll be happier with it. All I can say is, I'm a huge fan of the car. I had always wanted to swap a V8 SC into my '94 before a drunk driver used it as target practice. Let's just say, I don't think I'll be going the same route as you. I get irritated enough running fiber lines, audio lines, power, etc required in setting up new systems here on FSK, so I'd probably throw myself in front of a bus after a few days of trying to wire in the Cobra components.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

-Corey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, my swap just started... A bit of a surprise to me since the shop was sitting on it for a while, but they said they pulled the V6 yesterday and started asking about parts. Thanks to this thread I believe I know what directions I need to go, but I am still spooked on the wiring.

My friends tell me that I should be able to get away with a Cobra ECU for engine management, but since my 1994 SC is an auto, what about the transmission?

I guess I'd like to ask if anyone knows what I can "get away" with and not have to re-wire the hell out of everything. I need to do some research on a fuel system, but the shop seems to think that having a return-style system as opposed to the stock Cobra system would be better, but they're not sure about the lines and flow rates.

I was about to sell everything and buy a Skyline, but then I got the email... uh oh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
My friends tell me that I should be able to get away with a Cobra ECU for engine management, but since my 1994 SC is an auto, what about the transmission?

I guess I'd like to ask if anyone knows what I can "get away" with and not have to re-wire the hell out of everything. I need to do some research on a fuel system, but the shop seems to think that having a return-style system as opposed to the stock Cobra system would be better, but they're not sure about the lines and flow rates.

I was about to sell everything and buy a Skyline, but then I got the email... uh oh.
Since you're going from a V6 to a V8, you will need more than just the ECU. I would recomend picking up the engine harness for a V8 and a Mark VIII ECU. I'm not sure if you will want the Mark VIII or the TBird engine harness, so you'll have to figure that one out. Check out phreakness's swap for a bunch of info on using the Mark VIII harness and return style fuel system. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=75266&highlight=phreak Also, for fuel system requirements, check out the info on the Kenne Bell website. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
so how gos things? any new news? is your car still collecting dust in the garage? did those PIAA lights fit/work? i can aquire more if youd like;) i cant wait to get home and drool on the car again

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey Mikey,
Been so busy traveling and throwing Obamanation money at people I am just now getting a chance to check in. Any new news? I want to swing by there soon and see what you have been up to. Later, James

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #447
:) Yep, things have been a bit busy. Which means no T-Bird time. The only thing I've done since the last update is charge the battery (alarm keeps running it down) and started and warmed up the car a couple times. I should get the other stuff I'm working on wrapped up in the next two months, so I can get back into the bird. I can't wait!

Mike

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Hey all, not much progress to report. I've been moving and working 6x12 at work, so I'm paying the bills and not playing much. On the bright side though, the place I'm renting has a much larger garage, so when I do get to play I'll have a lot more space.

The next project is getting the T-Bird to pass emissions... within the next two months. I need to install the EGR and EGR tube, and then redo my exhaust. For the exhaust, I'm planning on dual 2.5 into single 3.5 and back to dual 2.5. All out of 304 stainless. I have the mig wire already, I just need to get the exhaust parts and tri-mix shield gas. This should be fun.:D I'll post pics as soon as I get some.

Mike

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hey all, not much progress to report. I've been moving and working 6x12 at work, so I'm paying the bills and not playing much. On the bright side though, the place I'm renting has a much larger garage, so when I do get to play I'll have a lot more space.

The next project is getting the T-Bird to pass emissions... within the next two months. I need to install the EGR and EGR tube, and then redo my exhaust. For the exhaust, I'm planning on dual 2.5 into single 3.5 and back to dual 2.5. All out of 304 stainless. I have the mig wire already, I just need to get the exhaust parts and tri-mix shield gas. This should be fun.:D I'll post pics as soon as I get some.

Mike

You can do dual 2.5 all the way back. I have it on the SC.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
You can do dual 2.5 all the way back. I have it on the SC.
This is true, I have dual 2.5 on mine. I think it might have to do with emissions legality though.

-Rob

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
This is true, I have dual 2.5 on mine. I think it might have to do with emissions legality though.

-Rob
For Oregon emissions, I can go with true dual. But now that I think about it, it might be easier to fit the two pipes through the gas tank tunnel then finding mandrel bent 3.5" 304 stainless. I don't think I would notice much difference in power between the two setups, so I'll have to see which one looks easier.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a Job!

Just completed reading your complete thread. Took me 2 days. I see you have quite a following of SCCoA members. I tried the SVT performance links and they are dead. Now that we are getting a little better weather here in t he PDX area hope you are getting your car back on the street. I use to live in Manzanita and that is how I solved my DEQ issue in OR!

DO you check out others that are doing complete make overs? Ddubb on SCCoA has an interesting project going on. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110455
Amazing the talent that is in these clubs/forums.

Now, your SC is the one Ford should have built!
-Dave

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
With the good, comes the bad. First the good, with the 1995 car all I have to pass for emissions is the sniffer test. The car passed with out issue, hollowed out cats, no EGR, and all. And I have the hood on.

Now for the bad, the car started heating up on me in traffic at 102F with the AC cranked. I'd been putting off flushing the cooling system, but having the car start showing some elevated temps provided the required motivation, so I flushed the system last week. I'll have to wait for another hot day to see if the flush took care of it or not. At the same time the car started heating up, the clutch started having issues with not dis-engaging. I drove the car Friday night, and was having trouble shifting. Then I took it out Sat and put over a hundred miles on it (makes sense right?):) By the time I got home it was shifting better without the clutch than with it. Hopefully I just boiled the fluid, but I'll know for sure by tomorrow afternoon when the engine and trans will be sitting beside the car.:(

While the engine is out I'll be wrapping the headers, checking final hood clearance so I know if I can put the Kmemeber back to stock height, and cutting new shims of the required height out of steel plate for the kmemeber. The shims I built to drop the kmemeber .75" aren't quite stout enough, so the kmember shifts slightly when cranking the wheels from side to side at a stand still. I have braces on the kmember, but it still shifts about a 32nd of an inch or so, which is enough for it to pop - which is annoying. I'll also drop the gas tank and drive line. I need to eliminate the PPRV(?) valve and replace it with 2 - 3/8" check valves. The PPRV is poping off at 45psi and bleeding off the fuel pressure, so that needs to go. With the 39# injectors and 500+ RWHP I need closer to 85psi. As for the driveline, either I destroyed a u joint already, or it is out of balance. Since the tail of the car vibrates at higher speeds (The 4.10 gears don't help).

On another note, if you had tires mounted in the fall of 2006, go get your valve stems replaced. I had one of my valve stems (front drivers side) fail with basically zero miles. Thursday, when I was flushing the cooling system, I had the front of the car on jack stands and the front passenger valve stem blew in half. Without the weight of the car, it was flat in 5-10 seconds. I never though about the lack of air restriction if the valve stem happens to break in half for some reason. Needless to say, i have four new high pressure (steel) valve stems installed on the car... for free. 2 out of 4 valve stems failing within 2500 miles, both on the front is pretty scary in my book, and the tire shop agreed. I did a quick search on the internet and found that there are about 30 million of the possibly faulty valve stems in the US. (Thanks China)

Anyway, I'll update more when I figure out what is going on with the clutch... maybe need a firewall brace???

Mike

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
The car looks great! :) How big of a raise is your hood?

I'd love to do this swap some day and am just kind of thinking ahead a little bit. I hope you can get the issues resolved quickly!

-Melon

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Fire wall brace interesting.... I'd like to see what you come with for that.

Did you weld the fire wall down the seam while you had it apart?

I think you're doing a damn good job with this project. Car looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Can't you read? When it gets hot, it is hard to shift.

All joking aside, I wondered the same thing. Is there flex that you already had or a crack?

SWS

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Man this bird is fantastic!! GREAT job! I been keeping up on this thread and this is something every bird guy dreams about! Lol

441 - 460 of 474 Posts