TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question!!!

How feasible would it be to remove a 3.8L engine with a blown head gasket in a 96, and replace it with a perfectly good 4.6L engine out of a destroyed 95?

I will have both complete vehicles and all wiring associated with them.

I did search for this topic but I didn't know exactly where it would be posted.

Thanks,
Ron

·
5,650 Posts
You need the transmission, driveshaft, and differential out of the 4.6L car as well. The transmission you have won't bolt up, not to mention it's too weak. The 8.8" gears will also stand up to the extra power. As far as wiring, you just need to replace the engine harness and the harness that goes from the PCM to the bulkhead connector in the engine bay, and you'll need to use the external DIS module and wiring for the 95 as well.

Also, the radiator, power steering pump, coolant reservoir, hoses, and A/C lines/components (with the exception of the evaporator core) are all different between the 2 engines. Also, the front springs and sway bars are different between the 2 cars. And the 4.6L has variable assist power steering which is controlled by a box in the trunk, so if you wanted to have this feature you would have to change a lot of harnesses in the car.

In short, the project is very involved, but very feasible, especially since you have 2 complete cars to work with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

That's what I wanted to hear.......I think!!!!

Ron

·
5,650 Posts
And the 4.6L has variable assist power steering which is controlled by a box in the trunk, so if you wanted to have this feature you would have to change a lot of harnesses in the car.

I have never heard of this. Was this an option or standard?

Will
It is standard on the 4.6L and optional on the 3.8L. All the system does is control the amount of power assist you get during certain condition. There is a solenoid on the power steering pump that controls the amount of fluid flow. At idle, it provides full assist (needed since the wheels are the hardest to turn when they are not spinning. At higher speeds, the valve closes so that the steering gets tighter and you get a better "feel" for the road. Also, the system detects how fast you are turning the wheel and provides more power assist when turning fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts