TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to pick everyone's brains about slapping a 4.6L V8 into a 1996 Tbird that came with the 3.8L V6.

I'm in the assumptions stage right now, I really dislike the V6 and would like to create a project out of building up a 4.6 into something nice.

I can source a V8 from a JY or someone parting out one quite easy, and of course my guess is if I match the years it's pretty much plug and play.

I'm sure I would need all the wiring/sensors with the engine harness, the PCM obviously as well. Maybe/maybe not the cooling system/fuel system. Change the front half of the exhaust is probably a must. All accessories as well.

I'm not as familiar with Tbirds as I am with Tauruii, such as the SHO, so I do not know too many of the differences between the two engine setups.

Gotta swap the tranny too. Are the fuel systems different? Would the new engine harness plug in without alterations?

As par my mechanical skills, I can go out of my way to make it work, I am just hoping it would be a weekend project to prepare and swap a built engine into it. I did build a fully functional 2000 Taurus with a 1995 SHO motor in it, that took some serious modifications to do, so I'm sure this swap wouldn't be too bad being the same year motors.

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
In your car it's easy since it's a 96, you only need the PCM and main engine harness from a 96/97 as far as wiring is concerned. All the other wiring is the same (including the PCM harness)

Fuel system wise you need the rails(duh) and the lines from them to the filter.

Cool swap in the Taurus, I don't think I've ever seen someone V6 SHO swap one

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Unless you want the project it would be easier/cheaper to get a 4.6 car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't brag about the Yammerhammer in the 2000 much, I just wanted to insist I'm serious lol.
[The project will be revealed entirely when I finish the body work that's on hold for the winter]

I'm basically in it for the project though. I'd like to build another souped up engine before installing it, and since I already have the 'Bird it would be nice to do it to. I never let a mechanic touch my cars, so I just don't see how it would be cheaper to buy a 4.6 bird unless I sold my current one for it.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That is sweet. The old Yamaha in the Taurus. Did you do a 5spd conversion too?

Sounds like you won't have any trouble swapping a 4.6 in a 3.8 car but it's still easier to sell the 3.8 and get a 4.6. If you do decide to do the swap get the PI motor.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
It you got an SHO motor in your newer Taurus, then I think you'll be able to figure out the 4.6 swap into your bird. My one piece of advice though is to buy a 4.6 bird or cougar as a donor car. There are a lot of things that will need from wiring to vacuum harnesses to fuel lines, exhaust, springs, transmission, even the rear diff and axles are different in a V8 bird from a V6 one. I would start by finding a wrecked, rusted out, or otherwise trashed 96/97 V8 bird that runs and drives that you can buy for under $1000, and use that to convert yours. Once the conversion is done and the car runs and drives, then build a motor for it, so if something goes wrong, you will know whether it is a problem with the swap, or a problem with the motor.

·
Super Moderator
16,984 Posts
All the Vacuum harnesses and wiring you'd need can be left attached to the doner engine. On any other year MN12 I'd say just get V8 car but in the 96/7's case it's literally just plug and play. Springs and diff are different, sure, but they're not necessary for an engine swap, plus you could save up for better upgrades down the road rather than swap in junky old parts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If I'm correct, there is a weight difference of 100-130 lbs. between the two engines. Although, it's not going to affect ride quality and handling to a significant enough degree to warrant immediately upgrading the front springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts