TCCoA Forums banner

3.8L Valve Cover Bolts

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jonstocker 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I noticed the sticky in the forum top but could not find the info provided there or via search. I spent the last 2 days tackling the valve covers before I start doing motor mounts and trans mount. Typical space problems and cursing provided on both sides for lack of clearance. Luckily got both back in and replaced. Just as I'm threading the last bolt, for the passenger side, the little weasle slips out of the socket...and falls into the void of the frame. Spent 2 hrs just trying to find it, gave up hope and am now looking to find a replacement. I need to know the specific measurements for a replacement. It would appear no local shops sell any made for the 93 3.8LNA Cougar. At least the sites say what they have isn't compatible. Asking for specific measurements to not crack a head with too long of a bolt or needing spacers.

#3 ·
MadMikey, thanks for the response. I didn't think this post actually published. Phone died as I hit post. I will definitely go that route in a few minutes. Hopefully the guys at the local hardware store sell this grade of bolt. Should I be concerned about material? These are going on alloy plastic covers, not sure that should make a difference for one bolt over another. I know they're not high torqued either, I just get concerned one may be more likely to round or possibly seize in the threads from corrosion faster. Any thoughts, or am I overthinking this?

#6 ·
Thank you all for the assistance! jb351 and MadMikey were right. To be more specific, it was an M6 x 1.00 (20 depth). They didn't have what I needed with the same size head, so my OCD is yelling at me. Stock were 5/16, new one was 10mm. At least its flanged, I guess. Now both gaskets are replaced, I can start working on plugs, wires, motor mounts, trans mount, then thermostat, upper/lower radiator hoses and belt. Woohoo! Its a slow process, but it's happening yall!

#7 ·
When I did mine I chased the bolts and the holes with a tap and die, blew them out real clean, and used blue Loctite. I torqued to specs and use the best gaskets I could find. No leaks to date, 40k miles later. I believe they are M6x1.0. If you want a factory fastener head to the wrecking yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.