TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time coming and this project should have beem started ages ago! This weekend Scott and I dropped the DOHC AND T45 combo into the empty cavities of getblown, test fitted and installed.

Issues so far: (besides the obvious shifter and other know sohc to dohc issues)
- need specialized fittings as seen in the 97sport writeup and lines for the hydraulic setup.
- heater core (bypassed for now), lines exiting through the firewall... one goes left, one goes right. Hopefully if the boxes are the same, I can just throw in a 4.6 heatercore *crosses fingers unhopefully*
-chassis... yes you read that right. There is a 18" crack, 8" down from the cowl on the firewall. This is beleived to be attributed to the lack of bracing on my current clutch pedal.
- fuse box, with the 4.6 coolant resivoirs being on the drivers side where my abs test and fuse box are, a small bracket needs to be made to attach and turn it so its not in the way.
-bracing bracing bracing
- wiring, NIGHTMARE! - with this being a 93sc to DOHC, not a sohc to dohc swap...

ALL suggestions and advice please!

A few pics of the important stuff.

·
Registered
958 Posts
looks good. wanna do the t45 in the mark by spring

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Suggestions: read Sean's progress thread (reset is the username). And look up the shift extensions that mount under the console.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suggestions: read Sean's progress thread (reset is the username). And look up the shift extensions that mount under the console.
Chris, I've been following RESET's thread like a hawk. The extensions *mad mikey style* are the least of my worries.

I think that I might just bite the bullet this weekend and go snag an entire 4.6 harness including dash from the local junkyard instead of trying to splice like the terminator swap. I wish to keep the pristine one year only P6 interior as long as possible, perhaps just a 95 heart in it will do the trick.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Get the engine bay harness too it will save you some headaches. Along with the 4.6 engine harness and computer.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The shifter extension is very simple to make, the only hard part to it is fine tuning it so the spacing is correct, and the shifter feels right i.e. loose enough to shift smoothly, yet tight enough to not rattle and make noises. as for the specialty lines and fitting from my swap that you mentioned you need, they aren't special, lol they are on the shelf pieces at summit, you should have no worries there. I had also mentioned in my thread about possibly getting the braided line with both ends on a 90*, now that my exhaust is done, I wouldnt there isnt a need for it. But thats something you will have to check with your aplication, it all depends on where you orient the slave and fitting to in the bracket you will need to build, and how close it passes to the exhaust. But I can say this, that slave will take alot of heat and still work. When I initially did mine the cat was less than a 1/4 inch from the slave and it did no damage at all, i was half expecting the heat to melt the rubber boot and cause leaks, but nothing so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shifter extension is very simple to make, the only hard part to it is fine tuning it so the spacing is correct, and the shifter feels right i.e. loose enough to shift smoothly, yet tight enough to not rattle and make noises. as for the specialty lines and fitting from my swap that you mentioned you need, they aren't special, lol they are on the shelf pieces at summit, you should have no worries there. I had also mentioned in my thread about possibly getting the braided line with both ends on a 90*, now that my exhaust is done, I wouldnt there isnt a need for it. But thats something you will have to check with your aplication, it all depends on where you orient the slave and fitting to in the bracket you will need to build, and how close it passes to the exhaust. But I can say this, that slave will take alot of heat and still work. When I initially did mine the cat was less than a 1/4 inch from the slave and it did no damage at all, i was half expecting the heat to melt the rubber boot and cause leaks, but nothing so far.
The car is drivable where the shifter is, being a first gen interior there is a bit extra foward dash clearance, so no rush on the extension.

The plan so far is to essentially take all of the interior/exterior/engine wiring from a 95 and move it into a first gen interior. Half of it is obtained and the other half is in a parts car a town over.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This weekend more parts were obtained...
- two female ends of 4.6 harnesses (using the stoc mk8 engine harness and a sohc computer, two male ends, the female ends will complete the connection)
-complete 95 4.6 dash harness (with climate control and T.C.)

Maybe someone knows, will the firewall connector on the drivers side connect directly from a 95 to a 93 and work?

*picture of the dash removed and ready for disassembly*

·
Super Moderator
16,776 Posts
Theres may be a small handful of circuits that match up in the connector, but the vast majority won't without repinning/adding/subtracting circuits. The round connector body is the same though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was not news I was hoping to hear. I suppose this will project will have to wait until spring and find a 94/5 car to finish the project. I was really hoping to keep it in this body.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Don't give up yet. You can keep your body if you get a 94/5 donor car and swap out all the under hood wiring. Hell, I have a complete 95 engine bay harness on my parts car that I could sell ya. I can also sell ya the bracket that you need to move your fuse box. I am betting that the bracket from a 94/5 will bolt right in and do the trick. Shoot me a PM. I know I told you that reading Racecougar’s swap would be closer to yours than mine but I think I can help a little more than I originally thought.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sean, that fuse bracket will bolt right up. Out of the 5 I've pulled... all 5 have broken atleast one of the mounting bolts, rusty nuts.

I have the engine, dash and eec harness. I was hoping that most would be a matter of repinning for the early style headlight switch and climate control etc, but ill have to see if that is possible. The chassis isn't the issue, its a template but buying the other 95 chassis would solve 95% of my issues at the moment.

Ill start rereading Rod's thread and see what's up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just for clarity, are you going with the 94/95 dash and engine compartment harness? Or 94/95 dash and 4.6L engine harness, but keeping the engine compartment harness for the 3.8L? My project was totally different because I went with 03 Mustang/custom wiring from the dash forward, but I may be able to help if you run into problems with a specific circuit. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread in case you need anything.

Tenacity pays off in the end. :D

Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didnt see this response til now.

I have a rewired early dash with a 94 harness installed and a 94 engine harness, but hoping to keep the early style front end and harness

Joe

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seeing, Pulling and replacing has all had a drastic affect on plans.

I know more of what connectors go where and know more of what I'm working with. Waiting for warm weather now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts