TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Does it fit what? An MN-12 car?

Not without a bunch of work. It's basically a Jaguar engine that was detuned for use in the Lincoln LS and new style T-Bird. Virtually no aftermarket support for it (at any sort of reasonable price anyway), so IMO not worth the trouble.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
It is physically smaller than a 4.6L engine, so yes it will fit in the engine compartment.

That said, I agree with Ed completely.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Ford does have a 3.9L pushrod engine that I believe is in the same family as the 3.8/4.2, but it is obviously a V6. Just to clarify, you do know that the Jag/T-Bird engine is a V8, right?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, yeah, that's why I was curious why no one really mentions it in engine swap posts. I figured two extra cylinders in almost the same size engine (and four cams) would make it a viable swap, but I can see how it would be a PITA to make work.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Ohhhh, the Jag3.9 is an 8, I was like "wtf, why won't it fit??" Here's why... Couple days ago Thomas was telling me about the 05 3.9 V6 which would be perfect for what I wanna do to my car. After I read those posts I was left just slightly baffled.

·
Registered
709 Posts
why? a DOHC 4.6 has more power than a 3.9L and WILL fit! Not to mention I'm shure that new Bird engine has even less low end and why would you wan't to put a smaller engine in a heavy car??

Jake

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ive actually had the chance to test drive a new bird. While fun to drive. not impressed with the engine power. And they are right. All the new tbird is, a jag with ford and bird emblems on it.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
MN12BIRD said:
why? a DOHC 4.6 has more power than a 3.9L and WILL fit! Not to mention I'm shure that new Bird engine has even less low end and why would you wan't to put a smaller engine in a heavy car??

Jake
I've got a 95 3.8 NA. Drop in the 3.9 overbored and cranked to a 4.2, throw on an autorotor, and I'm betting it'll put out more than a 4.6. And be lighter and stronger at the same time

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
I've got a 95 3.8 NA. Drop in the 3.9 overbored and cranked to a 4.2, throw on an autorotor, and I'm betting it'll put out more than a 4.6. And be lighter and stronger at the same time
Go for it. Let us know how it turns out.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Do the same thing to a 4.6, and you'd make a heck of a lot more power. The 3.8L splitport or the 4.6L DOHC are definitely much more worthwhile swaps.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
if you build up a 3.9L to its full potential it will be able to handle a lot of boost, and I mean a LOT of boost. Put an Autorotor to a block like that and you've got a very efficiently blown v6. With big valves single-port heads and well spec'd cam I could see it making over 500hp.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
...Couple days ago Thomas was telling me about the 05 3.9 V6 which would be perfect for what I wanna do to my car...
Is he sure about that? The Mustang V6 is a 4.0. At least, according to their website. Does Ford offer a 3.9 in something else?

·
8,978 Posts
yes Ford offers it in all the minivans. And the mustang had the 3.9 in 04.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
racecougar said:
Do the same thing to a 4.6, and you'd make a heck of a lot more power. The 3.8L splitport or the 4.6L DOHC are definitely much more worthwhile swaps.
Probably, but I'm not gonna swap out the entire wiring harness. Plus IMO a 6-cyl is much more impressive if it puts out as much power as an 8 :)

Thomas said:
if you build up a 3.9L to its full potential it will be able to handle a lot of boost, and I mean a LOT of boost. Put an Autorotor to a block like that and you've got a very efficiently blown v6. With big valves single-port heads and well spec'd cam I could see it making over 500hp.
I guess I'll just have to find out and let you all know :cool:

Ooh, and also, it's been in my interests to find a way to put split ports heads & intake on top of the 3.9 block w/ the autorotor 1.7 (designed for single-port). It'll probably involve a decent amount of fabrication but that would be cool to say "lookey what I did"

·
Registered
718 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Probably, but I'm not gonna swap out the entire wiring harness. Plus IMO a 6-cyl is much more impressive if it puts out as much power as an 8 :)

I guess I'll just have to find out and let you all know :cool:

Ooh, and also, it's been in my interests to find a way to put split ports heads & intake on top of the 3.9 block w/ the autorotor 1.7 (designed for single-port). It'll probably involve a decent amount of fabrication but that would be cool to say "lookey what I did"

The 3.9L engine only came with splitport heads as the 04 mustang and the minvan that came with them both were of split-port design. the 3.9L is nothing more then a slighty overbored 3.8L. Your better off going for the full 4.2L or 4.3L if you bore it .030 over.

FYI,, the best v6 build would be a 4.2L engine from a 4.2L with the bower up top,, I just came across a guy on ebay that makes a custom aluminum intake that fits the Tbird's SC supercharger to the top of a split-port engine.

Actually,, the kit uses the GM 3800 Blower but here is the link to the kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948102426&category=33741

Brad M

·
8,978 Posts
actually the 3.9L isnt bored over, the crank has a longer stroke. And the 3.9L block is mucho better than the 4.2 block, in fact it's got room to add 4 bolt mains. You could easily put the 4.2 crank in it and have a very strong stroked block. And new from Dan Newman a 2005 3.9 block is 200 dollars.
-Thomas

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thomas said:
actually the 3.9L isnt bored over, the crank has a longer stroke. And the 3.9L block is mucho better than the 4.2 block, in fact it's got room to add 4 bolt mains. You could easily put the 4.2 crank in it and have a very strong stroked block. And new from Dan Newman a 2005 3.9 block is 200 dollars.
-Thomas
The info I got was from someone at ford,, they could be wrong but the full story was the Windstar? minivan had a slightly larger bore in 04 (perhaps because of the new block but thats news to me?) and the mustang recieved the same engine so ford had to also follow que and say it was a 3.9L

I dont see how the rods would be different, heard the 3.8 and 3.9 rods were interchangeable. Also if the 3.9L block is stroger then is it stronger then a SC block? Will it have to be modified for a 4.2L assembly?

Get some more info on this as I'm curious and would like the facts.

Part numbers are handy too! :D

Brad

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The 3.8 and 3.9 con rods are the same. Crank and pistons are different.

The 3.9 block does look like a good deal, it's only $299 CAN up here.

Block is Ford p/n 4F2Z 6010 AA. Crank is 4F2Z 6303 AA, it's $311 CAN, so maybe $225 or so down there.

cheers,
Ed N.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts