TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go, Its a 95 4.6L

Today was long but I can tell you what its not....
Maff is fine,
Plugs got spark,
Coil packs have sparks,
Fuel injectors all read same ohms, cleaned fuel rails, Cleaned Fuel injectors,
Cam shaft sensor is fine.
no codes...

When the car is on its rought due to 3 cyn not firing properly or even fireing, I hear a loud klinking sound. I spent all day working on it. I can remove the wire from fuel injectors and nothing changes on the 3, I can remove the wires for the 3 nothing will change. I think its internal but I don't know what it could be or where? What should I look for if I remove the valuve covers?

Thanks In advance,
William

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Did you check to see if the injector harness is working with at least a noid light? If the noid light shows the harness firing you can swap the injectors around to see if anything changes. Next check for ignition pull the 3 plug wire and see if its getting spark. If not fuel and no spark it may be internal like a broken valve or valve spring....

how loud is the klicking? sound like something rattling around? Also a follower can get flipped off. If there is definitly a sound coming from the valve train i would NOT start the car again before you pull the cover and check it out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injector harness is fine, We had check that also,
I got spark everywhere it needs to be, I for fuel everywhere it needs to be.

How will I know what it is when I remove the valuve covers?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Look for a broken valve spring or a missing follower that will be flipped off and laying down near the outside of the head. Have you pulled the plug and checked it for damage?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled 3 plugs and all were find, Did not pull the front one b/c of the location. if something wrong it would show on the spark plug? What would I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
oil fouled or damaged( the ground strap will be smashed or missing. What did the sound, sound like?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can give u a call on put the car on the phone if you want...

lol

More of a clicking sound, Wish i knew what it was,

Thanks for your help

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
try another ecm , there were issues with 95 computers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does the ecm do? can I trouble shoot that its it or not it? I hate buying stuff I do not need

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you tested the harness it the ecm should be rules out however using a noid light would be nice. that way you could have someone turn the motor over and you can check to see if the harness is working properly

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We used a nod, and we saw it blinking, one of the first things we did...
I think its internal but I dk what I would be looking for, Or where to look...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
pull the valve cover and report back. If the noid light was blinking i doubt its the ecm as the ecu problems in 95 was a bad driver holding an injector open. If it were me I would pull the cover and start looking for something that dosent look right. i also wouldnt start the car as if it was a broken spring it would only take one more start to break the valve head off and then crumble a piston....been there done that got the tshirt

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Pull the spark plug and do a compression test, you dont have to pull all the other plugs to find a bad valve. You will have very obvious low compression on that cyl. disable fuel pump and spark(remove pcm relay and disconnect cut off switch in trunk)

The 32v 4.6L are likely to break springs. I replaced one recently in a continental. The springs had two revisions since they were made, the new spring was in a beehive shape. Its not unheard of in the 16V engines too.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I kinda disagree with the comp test at this point i would pull the valve cover first. It might only take one rotation with the starter to snap the val;ve head off lodge it sideways and break the piston ionto piece and window the block. I would at least first pull the cover

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've had a broken spring before. Mine was intermittent (not that all are) and when it was in the broke position it would run really bad. When I say it ran bad I mean it ran terribly and the CEL would blink when missing.

Im not sure thats helpful at all.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Mine did the same thing. My sotck 4.6l had stage 2 camms on stock crappy 92-95 valve springs. The spring broke resulting in a clattering sound. i limped it too my work parking lot a few blocks away so that i wouldnt have to ditch it on the side of the road once i was parked before coudl shut it off it just stopped with a slight clack. had i shut it down adn had it towed the valve head would have not made contact....crumbled a piston...and then the rod punched a nice hole in the cylinder wall. it did this at idle

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I kinda disagree with the comp test at this point i would pull the valve cover first. It might only take one rotation with the starter to snap the val;ve head off lodge it sideways and break the piston ionto piece and window the block. I would at least first pull the cover
Probably right, with this advice. I guess I was lucky when mine broke then. I would think it would be decimated by now if it caused the valve to drop. If he was running all those tests with the bad spring its probably broken (if its that) on a low coil and and just barely off its seat.

Pulling the valve cover would be the best thing now.

I feel guilty now for not replacing all the springs, but whats the chance of 2 springs breaking? Would I be driving mid -90s cars if I was that lucky?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts