TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gutted my 3 cats last weekend on my 91 5.0 sport and removed the resonator also.The seat of the pants dyno is happy and so are the ears.I left the stock mufflers for now untill I decide if I will put on the set of Blowmasters I already have sitting here.I did reattach the heatshields so it will pass a visual inspection if it ever has to.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=923277426803:1478942810&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bad part is the pasenger side flows like a normal exhaust should but the drivers side feeds the cat @ a 90 degree angle due to the steering shaft being in the way.The 5.0 actually has headers on it insted of a cast manifold.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Gutted cats are bad for many reasons the number one reason being that they aren't a smooth straight transition they a a large void turbulent area once hollowed and besides the sound they usually hinder performance not to mention the risk of heavy metal poisoning when knocking out the cores, that dust will mess up your lungs. If you want sound and flow get regular straight pipes with heat shields and risk the fines or get some high flow spun cats off of eBay, jegs, or summit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My exhaust flows alot better now than it did before gutting it but the 90 degree transition on the 5.0 drivers side cat leaves somenthing to contend with later.I did it for a cheap easy pickup in flow compared to the clogged 19 yr old stock junk that was on there.Once I can get some mandrel bent pieces I am going to weld up new downpipes and take care of that transition and eliminate the empty cats also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts