TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i'm currently running true dual exhaust with stock cats (2.25" piping that graduates into 2.5" just after the gas tank). I'm running an X-pipe with Dynomax race magnums mid mounted. I'm wondering how the sound will be affected and also how the flow will be affected if i run a y-pipe into a single 3inch exhaust? Thanks

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
heh.. run the single out the back in the center. or just get a DI/SO mid-mount.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
mid mount the a di/so muffler where most mount the di/do magnaflow, and run a single pipe back, no additional muffler, I imagine it would sound alright, I don't know though

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of running a 3inch bassani muffler. As i have bassni's on my mustang and i really like them. I though frankencougie had a 3inch single but i guess he's not around right now... thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
401 Posts
here's a clip of 3" single....very deep tone at idle
click here

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Go with a single 6.5 in. Youll be big bumpin :tongue:

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
sCrEaMiN BiRd said:
Dont they have like 5inch pipes for diesels and such^^^?
Probably, that would basically run like an open headers setup i would think.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah could be i suppose. Ground clearance i'm sure would be reduced. Well i guess i'll stay with my duals. I was thinking about taking the 2.5" pipes off (just after gas tank) and going to a dual 3" with NO tips. Hoping to get more of an echo sound. But with my luck will end up sounding like terd.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have ran only cats with a dual setup before it is loud. It sounds like a nascar...ran about 2 years like that with no problems until one day a cop didnt like how loud it was lol he heard me from like a block away. By then I was tired of hearing the exhaust so loud anyways i just put some mufflers on. If you can run some cutouts before some mufflers that way you can have it loud or quiet. I rigged up some cutouts with two ford throttle bodies and flanges. Its fun to sneak up on a firebird on the highway then open up and pull on him lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
sCrEaMiN BiRd said:
kinda sounds like a 5.0 fox body mustang with flowmasters kinda.
thats because hes running hooker mufflers which sound similar to flows

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
twin turbo 281 said:
I have ran only cats with a dual setup before it is loud. It sounds like a nascar...ran about 2 years like that with no problems until one day a cop didnt like how loud it was lol he heard me from like a block away. By then I was tired of hearing the exhaust so loud anyways i just put some mufflers on. If you can run some cutouts before some mufflers that way you can have it loud or quiet. I rigged up some cutouts with two ford throttle bodies and flanges. Its fun to sneak up on a firebird on the highway then open up and pull on him lol
Yeah i got pulled over for my "no muffler" exhaust before also. Yours was probably louder because i'm sure my x-pipe quieted the exhaust down quite a bit. Luckily the cop let me go. I'm not really looking for super loud right now. But rather more tone and slightly more noise at higher RPM. I was hoping running bigger pipes out back would amplify the sound a little more and get a little deeper tone. We'll see though. Still haven't decided.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JustinH said:
Heres my car with the jba headers to 2 magnaflow highflow cats, to a custom y pipe, to a 4 inch single exhaust with a mid mount bassani muffler, it exits single out the back, the entire exhaust is painted flat black.

http://members.tccoa.com/justinh/blackbird/revme.mpg
Sounds pretty throaty. Do you have any other clips with a rev from outside the car or anything? Thanks for the clip, sounds nice. But it sounds like your serpentine belt is slipping... :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
sCrEaMiN BiRd said:
kinda sounds like a 5.0 fox body mustang with flowmasters kinda.
yea in the vid a bit i guess, but not in person....... the camera can't pick up the tone very good, it's too bassy, lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.