TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent done anything to my lincoln to specially prepare it. It is currently equipped with Long tube headers, full (catless) exhaust with an X-pipe, and a fenderwell cold air intake. my CEL light is on because the EGR was improperly removed with no programming to correct it.

3 weeks ago, I found ethanol in hallendale beach florida, and I added a 50 50 mix of E85 and 93 octane to my car. I ran this mix to the bottom and monitored the car carefully. When it got down to three quarters of a tank, the car started to stutter and stumble a little bit, and act like it was running out of gas occasionally. As I got closer and closer to the quarter tank mark, the less this happened.

My research, and observations of the car, the sight and smell clues coming out of the exhaust tell me that this was the high alcohol content of the ethanol cleaning out 13 years of debris in my gas tank and fuel system.

I changed the fuel filter with a brand new fuel filter, and added a full tank of E85. Once again, the car ran well, then stuttered and stumbled a little bit at low RPMs, and blew blue crap out the exhaust. by the time a half a tank rolled around, it was like I had a brand new car on my hands.

Previous to my E85 excursion, my car was developing IMRC problems. at 3k rpms it became a hesitation and a miss when they would open. I have seafoamed them 3 times, and this helped a little.

After the E85, it is as seamless as the Vtech activation on a new RSX. The car idles lower, smoother, and quieter now also. I have noticed a very small increase in power after the IMRCs open, and the car is running EXTREMELY WELL with no signs of detriment whatsoever.

Prior to doing this, I spoke with both a Ford Master Tech, and a ford engineer, both of which who told me that my fuel system components werent in any danger of corrosion. All of the soft parts of the fuel system are teflon lined, and therefore are ethanol safe. They warned me that the vehicle could run with a lean condition, and my mileage would be worse since my car is not "optimized for it."

My notes indicate that performance has improved, the 4.6 twin cam loves ethanol, and I have not observed a lean condition. I pulled my plugs recently, and they are perfect. My gas mileage has suffered slightly. in conditions where my car would get between 29 and 31 mpgs (i.e.) 60 miles an hour, 2 windows up, A/C on, in 4th. My car now gets between 25 and 26. Also, with my CEL on and the EGR nonfunctional, and the cats not in the equation, the Ford Tech told me that my car may run slightly rich, which would actually help with running the ethanol a little bit.

When I lay into it in the city, or while idling the mileage has suffered a big more. my city mileage is down from 21 (with a light foot) to about 17 (with a slightly heavier foot). I payed 2.49 a gallon for it, premium near me is in the very high 2s, to low 3s.

I am probably only saving approximately 3 or 4 dollars per tank, but I feel alot better knowing that I am buying fuel made here in america, as opposed to imported from overseas. Additionally I am excited, because I have a dynotune coming up eventually, and the tuner has assured me I will be able to pull another 5 to 10 percent more power by cranking the timing up quite a bit. Also, I believe I will be getting a jacobs mileage master multispark discharge box for it. I should get some of my mileage back once I do this.

I will keep everyone updated in the meantime.

Sincerely,
Blake.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
its probally leaning out stoich for gas is around 14.7:1 as for E85 its somewhere around 9:1

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your car does not have the adaptive range to correct for E85 and without changing the tune, your car will not run right.

Mitch

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i feel like the car was running a bit rich before i did this. i had a suspicion it was running rich ever since i did my longtubes and screwed up the EGR, and the tech told me that when the CEL goes on it usually runs a bit richer, so thats going to help my AF ratio also

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you gone WOT with the E85? I have heard the stock Mark VIII tune runs 10:1 A/F at WOT, which would put you in a good range for the E85. I would like to see some dyno numbers to compare the two fuel types. I would first assure the fuel pump and system are up to the job with some close A/F monitoring.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
apparently you didnt read my post, but its running just fine so far.
its definitely not running how it should be...regardless of how it feels.....if you dont know that ethanol has different a/f ratio requirements than that of straight gasoline, then you're way off track

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I don't wanna hear crap about E85 is wonderful....blah blah blah...."USA Made", non-foreign, etc. You're young and have no freakin clue.

Gov't mandated ethanol production has done nothing but hurt the agricultural economy in the long run. All the crap going on in the world and our elected idiots say "burn food, don't eat it"...all in the auspices of stopping something nobody can prove exists much less is man-made. Stupid!

And if you think your car is running just fine when it's not been programmed for that fuel, then you're doubly dumb. How bout you try drinking salt water instead of fresh water....it's not all salt...surely your system will just adapt....sure it may run rough for a while, but it should be ok....right?

Yet another chronic case of Cranial Rectalitis. Ugggggggh!

·
Registered
275 Posts
i was taking a dump at a friends house over the summer so i read one of his hundreds of stang magazines. There was this stang pushing 1000HP on E85. Twin turbo, a few other things, and a really good tune. You can tune just about any car to run on E85 with little or no mods

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
i feel like the car was running a bit rich before i did this. i had a suspicion it was running rich ever since i did my longtubes and screwed up the EGR, and the tech told me that when the CEL goes on it usually runs a bit richer, so thats going to help my AF ratio also
That is only if the engine is so screwed up that the PCM goes into limp home mode, which advances the timing and goes rich (someone correct me on that as I'm not 100% sure if the Ford PCM does that).

If it is that is probably why you think you are seeing gains. (Years ago when "chips" first came out, that was a common setup: $100 for a "custom chip" that was just blank. The PCM would go rich and advance timing, thus more power)

Please, before you start posting things like, "it feels", "it seems", etc. get some hard evidence such as a dyno our some scanning software. We're all interested, but we prefer hard facts, not "it feels like". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That is only if the engine is so screwed up that the PCM goes into limp home mode, which advances the timing and goes rich (someone correct me on that as I'm not 100% sure if the Ford PCM does that).

If it is that is probably why you think you are seeing gains. (Years ago when "chips" first came out, that was a common setup: $100 for a "custom chip" that was just blank. The PCM would go rich and advance timing, thus more power)

Please, before you start posting things like, "it feels", "it seems", etc. get some hard evidence such as a dyno our some scanning software. We're all interested, but we prefer hard facts, not "it feels like". :thumbsup:
Wow...ONE helpfull post on this thread. Now I remember why I rarely come here. Truth is, the car can run on e85. It should be tuned. Will it kill the car, probably not but I do not know what kind of engine problems he already had (I.E. a bad MAF or something that can cause the AFR to be way lean). Can it run better, sure anything with a tune can.

Since he is running about 50/50 with 93, it is probably not causing any harm. But like I said, I do not know what his problems were before. If this was the only site on the internet, I would probably listen to what is being posted here. But since it is not and there are already several other people running it on NONe85 cars with good results, I am inclined to say the advice here is one sided.

SWS

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
He only ran the 50/50 one time. I think he's now running E85 100%, which without a tune is really not good for the engine. Gas or E85, an improper mixture it isn't good for any engine.

lightningvic said:
I changed the fuel filter with a brand new fuel filter, and added a full tank of E85
A dyno and a tune would help a lot and I would almost say it is mandatory.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts