TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over some ford reports on the 2006 expidition. I have a 2005. There are reports that the spark plug will either rust in the chamber or break all together. Anyone heard of this? Some shops charge 1800 for the repair and ford doesn't cover it! No where was there any mention of 2005 having the same problem. But you know murphy...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've tuned up a handful of 3v mod motors and only had one that didn't end up with a broken plug. Ford has had a few TSBs outlining the proper procedure for removal, they changed their mind a few times. I had to use a tool from matco to pull the lower part of the plug out. Good luck if you attempt it on your own, I would plan for atleast a few separations.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tuned up a handful of 3v mod motors and only had one that didn't end up with a broken plug. Ford has had a few TSBs outlining the proper procedure for removal, they changed their mind a few times. I had to use a tool from matco to pull the lower part of the plug out. Good luck if you attempt it on your own, I would plan for atleast a few separations.
A few seperation out of all 8 plugs or are we talking about something else! I just want to be sure! And what "tool" did you use?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Seems to me that the non threaded part in the combustion chamber gets carboned up, you try to remove them, that part doesn't fit anymore and snaps off.

There are lots of writeups on sites for vehicles that have them, and what the TSB de jour currently is.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
If you have less than 100K miles on them,change them NOW. I did mine on my '05 6.8L 3V,and at 57K miles,they were difficult to remove,but they did come out.
JL

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JL,
Did you follow a manual or just did it on your own?

The plug gets rusted or corroded in to the threads or just below the threads.

I am worried to do such a job...I can't be out a vehical or out the 2500 that it might cost to repair the engine. I know some are saying 2500!!! WTF...But my next door neighbor had replace the enigine after the mechanic started with old pieces of plug in the hole. If i do do this I want to find out all I can prior to doing so...

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
JL,
Did you follow a manual or just did it on your own?

The plug gets rusted or corroded in to the threads or just below the threads.

I am worried to do such a job...I can't be out a vehical or out the 2500 that it might cost to repair the engine. I know some are saying 2500!!! WTF...But my next door neighbor had replace the enigine after the mechanic started with old pieces of plug in the hole. If i do do this I want to find out all I can prior to doing so...
No manual-just a bit of common sense-it's really easy,just time consuming. I broke the plugs loose and sprayed them down with Kroil to allow it to soak into the carbon deposits below the threads. That's the big problem with the 3V plugs-the ground shield shell is not a single piece-it's pressed into the threaded body of the plug, and over time-carbon deposits "fuse" the shell to the inside of the cylinder head's recess that the plug sits in. When you "break them loose"(literally in some cases),the shell snaps off of the body and hangs in the head.
Change them frequently (50K miles or so), and anti-sieze the body and threads of the plug, and you shouldn't have any problems.
JL

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if the ceramic comes out along with the upper portion of the plug, then the remaining shell can be tapped with a 9mm x 1mm pitch tap, or similar to cut threads on the inside of the shell....then you can thread a bolt in (or cross thread as I did), and pull the bolt out, and it will drag the shell out right along with it

on my sister's expedition, the ceramic also broke off and stayed in the shell, so that had to be chipped away little by little, then that was when I tapped the shell and yanked it out. Needless to say, i spend hours and a lot of cheap lubricant spray to spray into the combustion chamber and vacuum all the ceramic debris out....and right when i thought all the ceramic was vacuumed out, i did it all over again to be 110% sure

all this because my brother in law didnt know these plugs differed from standard plugs....all the other 7 plugs came out fine, but that was because I soaked each spark plug well with PB blaster, and left it there for two days....and very very very very slowly, backed out the plugs

·
Registered
193 Posts
when i heard about this early on, i removed the stockers, cleaned as best as possible, and silver anti-siezed them back in. then when aftermarkets became available i use them. they are 2 heat ranges cooler than trucks, one cooler than cars.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree with everything that has been advised and said. If anyone is interested in the matco 'ford spark plug extractor set' i believe it is part number fsp100. It came with a long tap and puller that pushes against the head, it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it was about $100. I'm sure a tool could be made by oneself that performs similarly though.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks cool! I am not looking forward to this job. It will be a few weeks before I attept.

I was reading that it is better to let the motor be warm when doing this job. IE not sitting all nigh cold but not burn hand hot.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i would just soak the spark plug wells with PB blaster instead of trying to finnick and guess the cylinder head temps......the PB blaster really does work its down down into the threads....just let it soak real good for several days to be on the safe side, and back them out 1/16 of a turn at a time, until you can feel them loosen...the will screech and screech and screech as if they were being burned alive, but with each slight turn, the pb blaster wicks even more into the threads

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
at my friends shop he had a 3v 6.8L towed in because it shot out a spark plug and of course also trashed the coil on its way out.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have done several of these engines. and every single one ends up breaking atleast 2 plugs. i have the tool from MAC tools to remove the tip of the plug. Its still a royal PITA.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I changed mine at 35k, didn't lube them at all, and they were easy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you know i recently changed mine because of carbon, even though the tune is gas mileage lean, and +5 degrees global spark 87octanel, and carbon was still everywhere on them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts