TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have done a search but when i put in 3 valve head i get lackluster results. :(

Please Help;

I have a really realiable source on some brand new 3 valve heads from a 06/07 mustang gt and would like to know if those heads can fit and what would be neccessary(sp) including the heads to make everything work?

Does anyone here know if this will work and/or has already done this to their t-bird??

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
no they dont fit... only thing u could do would be swap the complete motor but then that would still cost a load of money

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It has been done but you better have a fat wallet. Both a full 05 Mustang motor and ECM install into a T-bird, and a 3V conversion into a 2V Mustang using a throttle cable which is what I am collecting parts for as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh. . .. So its just like doing a DOHC swap into a bird. You gotta have a lot of coin and the motor and the ECM. <sigh> And i thought this motor was MODULAR.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
Krauser said:
Ohh. . .. So its just like doing a DOHC swap into a bird. You gotta have a lot of coin and the motor and the ECM. <sigh> And i thought this motor was MODULAR.

its a Modular motor, not a Cheap motor.

And its modular at the design level, not our level :p

·
Registered
477 Posts
Krauser said:

The dohc cost very little to install actually. The expensive part was the chip to reconfigure the ecm. In addition i think the 3v swap is going to be very worthwhile, the engine technology has fascinating possiblities.

Will

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
mechman1984 said:
The dohc cost very little to install actually. The expensive part was the chip to reconfigure the ecm. In addition i think the 3v swap is going to be very worthwhile, the engine technology has fascinating possiblities.

Will
It was just compared to a 4v (cobra) motor...3V is just as good w/ better TQ numbers...These test were on a blown application...so I can't speak for NA.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The reason to chose a 3v is that the varible cam timing could be tuned to optimize engine performance extremely well. With the varible cam timing the problems of chosing between high rpm power and low rpm power is eliminated with the adjustablity. At the end of the day the 3v is a interesting bit of technology, i would almost liken it to the carb to efi revolution.

Will

·
Road Race Addict
607 Posts
nickmckinney said:
It has been done but you better have a fat wallet. Both a full 05 Mustang motor and ECM install into a T-bird, and a 3V conversion into a 2V Mustang using a throttle cable which is what I am collecting parts for as well.
you do not need a whole new ECM, I am putting together the info for a story in Modified Mustangs Magazine about swaping a 05+ motor into older chassis. All you need to do is call the FRPP tech Line in Dearborn and they can help you through the wiring mods, NOTE: you have to find a way to make the cams NON variable timing. hell you can even run the coil on plug WITH your orginal ECM.

and NO I am not making this up. I spent several hours at the PRI (Performance Race Industry) show in Florida in december at the FRPP both getting the low down on this as a single turbo 3-valve mustang motor is going under my hood as soon as my tubular K member is finished.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Logan Motorsports has the adaptors for the 3V intake to the Cobra cabled throttle body and header flanges for the 3V heads to 2V headers. Once that is done you can run it with the 2V computer with the VVT disabled (what I was stating but it doesn't appear to have come across that way) There is already a SN95 Mustang running this combo that you can see video of on the web.

Otherwise if you want the VVT to work you also get stuck with the drive by wire throttle body and the 05+ ECM. There is a Thunderbird somewhere online already running this way as well.

My own 3V that I am putting together will run a 2V COP style computer, I can live without the VVT especially if it means no drive by wire. Tuning is easy via SCT or similiar.

If you are putting this into a Tbird the exhaust manifold/header is the only real issue to work around I would image.

·
Registered
193 Posts
make sure if you run the 3v in a non 05+ pcm to retard the cams exactly 1 tooth on the upper sprocket. mine has it's powerband limited to 5000 because of that. i am swicthing it before the spring though. dyno sims suggest a 50 hp difference with short runner intake and open exhaust as the factory 9 degrees advance hurts real bad. i wondered why the short runner intake i made really didn't live up to my expectations... the cam timing is a total mismatch in terms of powerband to the intake. when i get the to match it will rev to 5500.

remember this is not 2v. in a 5.4 the 3v performs just fine. the heads flow plenty. in my car club a 4.6 revvs to 7200 with stock heads and aftermarket cams. 344rwhp he makes. imagine when he adds ported heads with 1mm larger intakes. 282in/~200ex from fox lake,jdm or livernois. i will post the dyno results this spring and i guarantee some suprising power.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I thought the variable cam timing could be handled with an aftermarket PWM controller??

I thought one of the main reasons people choose the 3V over the 4V is because the 3V has VCT, what good is it if the VCT doesn't work?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
subsrcibing

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
hotbird said:
I thought the variable cam timing could be handled with an aftermarket PWM controller??

I thought one of the main reasons people choose the 3V over the 4V is because the 3V has VCT, what good is it if the VCT doesn't work?

It works but if you are targeting a narrow power band for racing (4K-7K) then its IMHO not only useless its costing you. There are issues with the mega large oil pump costing a little bit of power as it needs ultra high pressure to function, and now a new issue of heavy duty valve springs possibly overwhelming the VVT sprocket is starting to surface. For a stock engine to operate from 1K-6K its perfect.

·
Registered
193 Posts
a pwm controller will work fine with a positive stop. the pcm reads the position continuously and adjusts it many times a second. aftermaerket cannot read the position without a custom cpu controller. it's much easier to buy a pwm controller or make a 50% duty d flipflop clock with a 2 amp mosfet gate and have the stop position fixed to your cam. with an msd spark controller operate the pwm controller. at specific rpm the cams retard to the fixed point and upper rpm power.

the previous writer is 100% correct on the phasers having problems. they are only designed to operate stock pressures. and the big pump requires more power. i am either going to fix mine or use the affore mention scheme. the cams i am going to use are way bigger then the stage 4 CC's. 3v does not make the power of 4v, but the package is easier and it is close enough.

the advantage you mentioned of vct is alluring. an example for me is with 9 degrees advance (default) and 11" runners the power is all low. it won't make a crapload like now. here are some sims run with what i will have before the shootout in march. keep in mind i am losing the exhaust full time. i will run open on the street. i have done it before with no tickets. THESE ARE WITH STOCK CAMS,ETC.

the labeling on the second one is wrong it is a 5.4 3v not a cobra 'r'

note the total loss of low end compared to now. that's the 11" runner you can't expect power at 3000 like now. the torque at the flywheel still exceeds 400 lb-ft even with the 11" intake just like now. the exhaust has that kind of influence on 3v's.

all of the parameters for the sim are the ones i have now. my dyno is not real impressive for HP unless you consider the cam phasing and the stock intake hurting HP. it's that bad.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So....you have to use a 05 and newer block for this? I figured the aluminum explorer block would work wonders with them.

Chris

1 - 20 of 41 Posts