TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if I could fuel a mix of 30% Ethanol / 70% Petrol in my '93 Cougar 5.0L without damaging fuel system/engine ?

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Before I ran that much ethanol, I'd first replace ALL the rubber in the fuel system. Also, you'll need a tune - the stock computer programming won't handle that much easily.

The ENGINE can tolerate it, but the rubber parts, especially if they're the 19 year old originals, are not going to be really happy with that much of the more corrosive ethanol going through them.

As always, a new fuel filter would be HIGHLY recommended. Oh, and kiss your gas mileage (such as it is) goodbye. I hope you like your filling station personnel :diablo:

RwP

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Also, your fuel system - injectors, pump, etc will need changed to larger units that will be able to supply more fuel. 25-30% larger for E-85, will have to do the math for E-30.

Dont think a regular filter is compatible either, might gunk up, will have to do more research on that though.

IF you decide to do all of that, and it is a LOT, might as well use E-85.

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about 10% Ethanol and 90% petrol (E10) ?
Does anyone think that could cause problems ?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Most fuel is 10-15% already. (Just saw your not in the States oops).

IMHO you could go 30% but know more, but why? My SC loves ethanol but any high temp/compression engine will.

For power you always want to run the lowest octane your engine can handle and E85 is 108.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info - Yes, I'm in Europe (Germany) and E10 will replace the RegularE5 which we have now.
In the End there will be a significant price difference between the RegularE10 and the PremiumE5.
That's important for a thirsty cat's owner...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Assuming the German government is only taxing the Petro side of the fuel so getting the highest concentration of ethanol could actually be cost effective for you.

If available you can expect to send about $1200USD for all the modifications to run E85; though I don't know what the inspectors will think of it? I can't imagine (no offense) that a 18y/o car will score too high to begin with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My secound Cougar, a Cougar 5.0L with low milages, I have a equiped with LPG (liquid petroleum gas), its running well, clean and cheap - unfortunately my V6 has to old to do so.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
I switched to E85 in 2008.
The only fuel system changes were 225lpm fuel pump and 60 lb. injectors.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I switched to E85 in 2008.
The only fuel system changes were 225lpm fuel pump and 60 lb. injectors.
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting out of that?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
What about tune?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My secound Cougar, a Cougar 5.0L with low milages, I have a equiped with LPG (liquid petroleum gas), its running well, clean and cheap - unfortunately my V6 has to old to do so.
You near Manheim? My girlfriend born and 25 years from there!

Viel Glück mit Ihrem Cougar!

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
tone of course.
312 rwhp.
12.48 @ 108.
MPG was 14 highway with the old engine.
Running e85 for high octaine with13.5 to 1 compression ratio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Meanwhile I've got the official confirmation from FORD that I could use 10% Ethanol or 5%Methanol with a minimum of 87 Octan without any problems. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Like someone mentioned above, the lines inside the tank are rubber, and may fall apart due to the ethanol.

There are also a bunch of vent lines that will get vapor, and will disintegrate over time.

I've had to replace them on 2 cars so far, and we're only seeing ~10% ethanol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yes but laughably the evap lines were never "fuel safe". replacing rubber lines on a 5.0 pushrod car would be considered maintenance. I replaced all my vac lines on my 96 with silicone from my local Catapillar dealer. its cheep and very high quality. Any heavy equipment or turbo diesel shop/dealer should have all the sizes and lengths ever needed.
E10 is totally safe and in the winter I splash in around 2 gallons(close to 7 litres) of e85 then fill the tank with 93 octaine dino juice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts