TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across this old article recently..Does anyone have more information about this car?

Mike Cook 239.984 Mph 428 cubes.jpg
Mike Cook Sr.

There's not a lot of information on this car.. I think it has a AR Boss 429 Hemi in it?..

It hit 296.045mph in one direction..It averaged 249 Mph..

The car is a real steel body 1989 Thunderbird.. With the engine setback and boxed in.

Mike Cook Sr. holds the B-class stockbodied, fuel-powered record at El Mirage with a 249-mph clip and at Bonneville..

Rayo..

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Wow .. I have the poster of that car from a really old Hot Rod magazine "Will Mike cookis bird be the first door slammer to go 300 mph ? " ...

It has a square tube frame / rollcaged, with the sheet metal body over it, its not a stock bodied Mn12.

Engine fro this article is something like ...

500 Cubic inches, 8-73 Mooneyham supercharged, Alcohol JP1, 1450 HP at 6500 RPM .. Air shifted 2 speed Lenco underdrive trans with a 32% overdrive.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow .. I have the poster of that car from a really old Hot Rod magazine "Will Mike cookis bird be the first door slammer to go 300 mph ? " ...

It has a square tube frame / rollcaged, with the sheet metal body over it, its not a stock bodied Mn12.

Engine fro this article is something like ...

500 Cubic inches, 8-73 Mooneyham supercharged, Alcohol JP1, 1450 HP at 6500 RPM .. Air shifted 2 speed Lenco underdrive trans with a 32% overdrive.

Really?

You should post some pics of that article, and the car...

That'd be great! :)

Thanks for the info!

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Really?

You should post some pics of that article, and the car...

That'd be great! :)

Thanks for the info!

Rayo..
What he said!

I've been subscribing to Hot Rod for the last few years. You never see anyone in there doing anything with T-birds.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

Sorry, pics are sort of large. The other poster is Bud Moores car driven by Brett Bodine straight from 1989. :D

.. I might have a couple more articles with Tbirds in them, like Alex baynards DOHC, the Scary Canary DOHC tbird, etc ..

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SCTbird1994 said:
Sorry, pics are sort of large. The other poster is Bud Moores car driven by Brett Bodine straight from 1989. :D

.. I might have a couple more articles with Tbirds in them, like Alex baynards DOHC, the Scary Canary DOHC tbird, etc ..

Thanks for posting that!...

Feel free to post more pics and articles if you have them..

Awesome!.. :thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yeah thanks! I wonder if he was a TCCOA member!

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have more information or pics of this Car?

Thanks.. :wavey:

Rayo..

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
What are good reasons for moving the engine back so far? So it can have a hood? Less driveshaft? Looks like he is almost sitting where the back seat goes, lol. They did a ton of work hacking up the body for all of that. It appears to be based on the stock unibody.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What are good reasons for moving the engine back so far? So it can have a hood? Less driveshaft? Looks like he is almost sitting where the back seat goes, lol. They did a ton of work hacking up the body for all of that. It appears to be based on the stock unibody.
More weight to the middle/rear? I'm assuming to be able to run a hood and possibly to run a HUGE radiator and transcooler.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aerodynamic drag reduction. Cant go FAST with a giant motor sticking in the air causing resistance.

That car is a beast! I wonder how well he could see out the windshield?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Well at least he doesnt have to worry about the firewall cracking :)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Aerodynamic drag reduction. Cant go FAST with a giant motor sticking in the air causing resistance.

That car is a beast! I wonder how well he could see out the windshield?
Thats called Ram Air. LOL

I think its more for weight distribution / engine fitament .. not for aerodynamics.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
i used to have a super fords mad that had a bird in it........i want to say it had these "5 valve" heads on it.....a 40 valve motor......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts