TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve started working on getting my front shocks together for my suspension rebuild. I went with these $14 API shocks from rockauto. They are listed as wholesaler close out.

I used a pipe cutter to cut them down. Once I cleaned up the edges the bilstein inserts slid right in. There’s no need to machine down the inserts or use a press on these.

While the bottom isn’t crimped like S4gunn talked about and doesn’t need to be pressed flat as, I believe, MaddMartigan did, there is still an inner lip that prevents the insert from going all the way down. I’m currently trying to decide if I want to try to flatten this down more to reach more threads or make an insert like S4gunn did in his thread.

I’ve also been working on modifying the upper mounts, but I’m currently still trying to remove rubber.

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
I need to order a set while they're still around. It's just hard to justify, with my current parts stash. :)
jda95bird, nice tip on donor shock bodies.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to order a set while they're still around. It's just hard to justify, with my current parts stash. :)
jda95bird, nice tip on donor shock bodies.
I was really happy that they worked out without a lot of extra work.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Just remember whats holding the suspension together if you go 'General Lee' with it. :)
The bolt in the back is about the same, lol.

Reactions: jda95bird

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, has anyone tried to use the 3000gt strut upper mounts as opposed to trying to modify thunderbird mounts? I was thinking about ordering one to check it out. Just from looking at pics on rockauto the bolt holes won’t align, but I feel like it would be easier to drill new bolt holes instead of everything involved with the stock ones.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,511 Posts
I don't recall reading anything on that when I decided to buy the inserts. If the overall diameter works, that may be an option.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the KYB mounts. It was the only brand rockauto had in stock at the time. After removing the rubber the opening is around 1 3/4”. This is the same as the OEM mounts according to the MaddMartigans posts. One of the aftermarket ones were 1 1/2” but the brand wasn’t specified. S4gunn’s thread says that the holes ranged from 0.83 to 1.25 on the ones they tried out.

Removing all of this rubber is a pain in the ass. I’ll be working on this for a while inbetween my other 50 projects.

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
The upper mounts MM made have bearings; it doesnt seem to hurt them.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t have any pics. I’m doing the same thing MaddMartigan and S4gunn did with the spherical bearings. I’m talking about the opening once you remove the center tube and all of the rubber around it.

Here is a picture from S4gunn’s thread with the rubber removed and the bearing housing in its place. That opening should be around 1.25” I believe.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
He welded in the spherical bearing and mount.
You want the thick factory washer on top, so it won't go back thru.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts