TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I've been pondering my drive train for a while now. The tranny is on it's last legs, and the 4.6L runs OK but has 110,000 on it and uses about 1 qt. of oil a month.

I was thinking about the 302 345hp crate motor Ford is selling. I would go with a carburetor to avoid having to deal with the electronic issues.

I understand I would need to switch to an AOD. Is this for sure? I'd like to keep it automatic since my wife drives it from time to time. Some have ragged on the AOD and not being well versed in the subject I have to ask what the problem with it is? And, can a better rebuilt be had?

I assume there would be no 'fitment' problems with putting the new engine and tranny in a 95 Bird?

The last thing I can think of right now is: Suppose I do the swap and everything goes well. If I need to change a part on the engine, what would I say the the parts guy as far as year model? The car is a 95 the engine is a crate but I have no idea what year ot call it.

I' not going to run out and do this any time soon. Just thinking it through and trying to cover all the bases before I decied that yes indead it is the way to go.

Any help, opinions, facts guidance etc. is greatly appreciated.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The only problem might be your emissions...depends on how strict your state is with those laws.

Here is what I would do:
1. Get tranny from 94-95 5L stang or 94-97 v6 bird. rebuild to high hp specs.
2. Get computer from 94-95 5L stang.
3. Drop that 345hp longblock in there.
4. ZOOM

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Emission cops might not like it because they stopped putting the 302 in the Birds at the end of '93. So they might frown upon that, unless you can somehow point out that its the same engine that came in the 94/95 Mustang GT's.

Greenbird hit the other points right on, on the transmission deal, I'd just find a piece of crap 4R (really cheap, like $100) and send it to Dennis for the core (which is worth $300) and get his built up transmission for $1,495 plus the core.

-Josh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts