TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am very interested in some new rims I have been going crazy over bullit style rims 17x9 in the front and 17x10 in the back, now I have been looking at 18's in the same configuration, now my biggest issue is all different tire sizes and bolt patterns and what exactly I am going to do to make it all come together. I want 305's on the backs and 245's in the front, I have been thinking of trying 315's in the back but I am not sure about them fitting properly. I have a 97 4.6 bird and I found some 1 inch and 2 inch spring cup lifts for the rear springs now when you install them it is said they double in lift so 1 inch would lift it 2 inches and a 2 inch would lift it 4 inches. Anyway I just want some bullitt rims with a black inside I am not picky I will take chrome but prefer a black or gray inside and chrome lips. Now I have been looking at the wheel shop and its going to cost me over 800 for the rims and then I buy tires and slap them on sounds good no mods except a lifted rear end. Well I have been looking around and mustang bolt pattern bullitts are about 500 some times around 400, these will due in terms of looks, I like them alot and the price tag calls to me. But then I have redo the hubs and brakes, well I am in the middle of getting all the parts for cobra brake swap right now, and it would be nothing to do a bolt pattern swap when I do the brakes. So now that I told this long winded description of my problem here are my questions.

1. Should I go with a mustang bolt pattern or stick with the wheel shop rims?
2. If I go with a mustang pattern should I use spacers or try to find 36mm or higher offset?
3. With a 1 inch spacer making it almost 2 inches in lift on the rear could I get a 315 without rubbing or should I be happy with 305's?
4. Of course I will change out shocks when I do the lift, but is that okay or should I go with a helper airbag like every one else? Which will be the better ride.
5. I am on going to be putting out around 400 hp hopefully this spring then I will be done until I finish school, so I need a strong setup no skimping in quality, I.E. I really dont want to use spacers.
6. if I lift the rear end should I also roll the fenders and how does that look when you have the body moldings on?
7. Is the lift the best Idea or should I roll the fenders?

Well I hope for some good feedback on this I am sorry for this being so long but I wanted to get everything out all at once so you would know exactly what I am wanting and what I have. I also already have some 275's on the rear of my cougar on a 17x8 rim and 245's up front, it looks really good but I want more aggresiveness for this car. Thankyou guys.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you looking for more understeer? because that is what that big tire will do for you.
Well I want the aggressive looks but with understeer doesnt that just pertain to the front tires I am going to run 245's on the front and I already have them on my cougar and it handles better than it ever did with the stock rims and tires. I know understeer is when you go more of a straight line instead of a sharp turn but any way I hope this helps you understand what I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'd like to run 275s all around on a set of widened 89-92 SC wheels :cool:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Well I want the aggressive looks but with understeer doesnt that just pertain to the front tires I am going to run 245's on the front and I already have them on my cougar and it handles better than it ever did with the stock rims and tires. I know understeer is when you go more of a straight line instead of a sharp turn but any way I hope this helps you understand what I am looking for.
understeer/oversteer is a balance between the front a rear. You can't make a change in one without affecting the balance. More rear grip = more understeer

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that is cool still I dont go hugging curves so I will be fine I just worry about all my suspension parts they have all been replaced recently and I dont look forward to replacing them again. This car is a daily driver but I want that aggressive stance and look and 275's dont cut it for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts